Down turn uncertainty domestic market

What’s the general consensus then? Has the domestic market gone quiet because of financial crisis, over saturation with small companies, or just the overrun of the last few years of chaos? 

It’s quiet in my area (Shropshire/welsh borders) but I don’t see an abundance of small gangs running around under cutting everyone. It seems to be people are cutting back on non essential spending, and that lovely reduction etc will just have to wait. I’m lucky to do some utility arb work (lucky may be the wrong word!) which is keeping us busy until things change, I wouldn’t want to be reliant on domestic work in the current climate for the next year or two.  

Here in the East of Brittany, I've not had one quote accepted since 12th April.

In the 3 weeks I was away in Morocco from 17th April, only one solid enquiry but no response as yet to my quote.

I've around €10k booked in, spread over the next two weeks or so.

Currently no debt and a healthy bank balance.

Looks like a relaxed second half of June and I effectively shut shop for July and August. Third year of doing so.

Off to Morocco for a month or more, cycling through the Atlas, maybe dip a toe in the Saharan sands.

Now friends whose outfits are in the West of Brittany are booked up 3-6 months due to storm Ciaran last November.

I also believe that social media posts concerning bird nesting season and misinformation over the 'Arrete Prefectorials" that apply to farmers being misrepresented as applying to the public.

A constant source of debate even on the "Dull Club" on FB

Stuart 

I can only hope I live long enough to see a resurgence to the heady days of coming home each evening to listen to at least 5 or 6 messages on the land line inviting us to go and take money off customers wanting tree work and they’re not bothered much about the price as long as you dont quote pikey prices and you can do it within the next month or 2.

• Like 2

It's quiet on the supply front as a knock on effect - and more noticeable on chainsaw mill sales and carving equipment sales which are less essential items.

For me there are lots more businesses/companies equipped to do the bigger jobs. Not prepared to do the hedge cutting, small pruning jobs because they've invested in doing the "big" take downs etc. 

We have also invested in Machinery etc but regardless of the type of work we charge the same for the days graft. Surprising how many quotes get accepted which I'm not hopeful of just because we're the only ones that seem to want it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...