Ifor Williams Trailer Jockey Wheel bent Need advice on how to disassemble

cjdg

See photo 1 of the "bend" in  shaft  of JW
(Went over a traffic bump that was in my own drive way that is a bit to abrupt and it dropped out and bent on the next bump!) I know idiot thing to do.

See photo 2 of split pin having HAD to be drilled out as it would not knock out 

It is now 7 mm in diameter and I am not sure if that is more than the original but suspect it is

I am unsure as to how to take the  wheel handle off the top of the shaft as it is not rotating "clear of the wheel" (ie still linked) even after the removal of the split pin

I conclude that, therefore, there is a flat to the threaded rod as well as a split pin as in screen grab (No 4 below) from an on-line Aussie video 

Photo 3  non circular receptor handle of another make of jockey wheel 

Photo 4 non circular threaded rod  of another make of jockey wheel 

QUESTIONS
1) Given that the wheel cannot come off at the bottom due to there being no means of disassembly, am I right in thinking that the only way to get this off is to draw the threaded rod upwards out of the base of the wheel?
2) Is there a similar flat in the threaded rod on the Ifor Williams JW as shown in Ptoto 4 above? 
3)  If not, is it a matter of forcing the handle upwards now that the split pin has been removed?  I suspect not as I have been fairly hard with a club hammer  trying to knock it off from both sides.
4)  Even if I do. manage to get it off it still will not be removable from the trailer unless I cut off and re weld the lower receptor for the anti spin spring connector which "seems" a rather drastic and, I hope, unnecessary procedure
5)  Am I right in thinking that IF IT WAS NOT BENT one could simply unwind the whole top section out with handle on the top?
6) If so, what is the purpose of the split pin ?
7)  If so, and the ONLY way to disassemble this is by unscrewing the bent threaded rod by force  would it not be best to try to bend at least some of the bend out of both threaded rod inside and the outer casing ?
8)  It would need considerable force carefully applied with a jig and suitable strong cramps 

What do any of you experts advise?

Photo 1 IMG_1859.jpeg

Phoro 2. IMG_1858.jpeg

Photo 3. Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.48.54.png

Photo 4. Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.49.42.png

16 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Simple answer, big spinny cutty thing.

Don't forget the hammer 😁

Also cut it low enough to the trailer chassis so it drops out however when putting in a new one in you will have to lift the trailer right up or unbolt the hitch section anyway 

54 minutes ago, cjdg said:
6) If so, what is the purpose of the split pin ?

7)  If so, and the ONLY way to disassemble this is by unscrewing the bent threaded rod by force  would it not be best to try to bend at least some of the bend out of both threaded rod inside and the outer casing ?

6 to stop the handle falling off

7 yes you could move it up and down and bend it  a bit straight but it will never be good enough to use so follow @GarethM's advice then buy new

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just buy standard ifor williams and unscrew it grease it up and fit, job done properly. 

Just keep wheel in a safe place as they don't last if ran along road. 

Edited by woody paul
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

Just buy standard ifor williams and unscrew it grease it up and fit, job done properly. 

Just keep wheel in a safe place as they don't last if ran along road. 

Exactly. Cut the bugger off with angle grinder to make easier to remove. Throw in scrap and buy a new one

• Like 2