Diesel thieves and how best to deal with

I know years ago "AddF" was the formic acid sold as a silage preservative. It had a lovely red hue, just like rebated diesel. It also helpfully came in 20litre plastic jars. The number of farmers, or their children or employees that proper fornicated up the tractors I.P. was unbelievable, cos, hey the diesel was generally carted to the tractors in similar jars. And in the hubble and pressure of silage making, mistakes were made. Like by my own younger brother!

So if one was to happen to leave a couple of jars of such contaminated fuel sitting about, obviously for future, you know like to be done tomorrow, proper disposal  .  .  .

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GarethM said:

Well the pistol is only going to happen in northern Ireland or if you're a vet wanting a single shot under section 5 if memory serves.

Plus it's reasonable force, whilst a grey area it didn't go to well for the farmer about twenty years ago.

The knacker man round here has a .45 revolver I think it is .

• Haha 1

Unsure about posting this, but here goes. If it's beyond what's allowed here I apologise and I'm happy to see it removed if necessary.

Not quite diesel thieves but these two lads broke into the wrong house and were given a night to remember by the home owner.

Video may be a bit too much for some so if it needs to be taken down then so be it. 

Proper justice and a real deterrent though. They even got into the Christmas spirit. 

• Haha 6

A lot of the suggestions are tempting, but you'd have to sit out all night to catch them in the act or do some major work to the tractor to secure the fuel or build a barn. Not sure I'd put stuff in the fuel tank that makes the diesel unuseable unless you know it is going to go that night. Best way to go is to collect the evidence I reckon, cameras. Is there anywhere on the tractor that you could place a spy cam / trail cam pointing at the fuel tank? Couple of security lights on the tractor pointing in the right direction will get a stone through them but might scare them off that night. Not limited to where you can park if the camera goes with you. Could also use the camera as a dash cam in case of accidents? Use the tractor battery for power supply saves you buying AA batteries all the time.