The wonders of Google Maps. And adipophilia.

sime42

I agree with all the negatives mentioned about salmon farming, but with two more to add.

To produce one kilo of farmed salmon takes about five kilos of wild fish, so the whole process is not only extremely harmful to the environment it is also very inefficient.

And to top it all, much of the Scottish salmon is actually flown across to the USA.  Apparently many of the passenger jets heading from London to NYC have 2500 kilos of Scottish salmon in the hold.  And just to square this particular circle we also import over 100,000 tons of salmon, mainly from Norway.

Needless to say I never eat salmon.

But I have read that trout farming is a lot better.  It takes place in ponds so does not necessarily pollute the sea, and don’t they have a vegetarian diet?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

I've read that trout farming is a lot better. It takes place in ponds so does not necessarily pollute the sea, and don’t they have a vegetarian diet?

Pretty much the same basic food with the waste just flushed out into the closest river.

Okay, probably less parasites tho.

11 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I agree with all the negatives mentioned about salmon farming, but with two more to add.

To produce one kilo of farmed salmon takes about five kilos of wild fish, so the whole process is not only extremely harmful to the environment it is also very inefficient.

And to top it all, much of the Scottish salmon is actually flown across to the USA.  Apparently many of the passenger jets heading from London to NYC have 2500 kilos of Scottish salmon in the hold.  And just to square this particular circle we also import over 100,000 tons of salmon, mainly from Norway.

Needless to say I never eat salmon.

But I have read that trout farming is a lot better.  It takes place in ponds so does not necessarily pollute the sea, and don’t they have a vegetarian diet?

Trout are carnivores.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Squaredy said:

We get Canadian wild salmon in our Morrisons (wouldn't usually say which supermarket but I know you'd all ask "Waitrose?"). Ours fly that way, theirs fly this way. Left to their own devices and according to the Scottish Government map I just looked at wild Scottish Salmon swim over Iceland and to (Canadian) Newfoundland and then back.. so why bother flying them if they will swim there and back anyway....

Edited by Steven P