Lawn

Donnie

4 hours ago, Donnie said:

Here's a wee photo. It was grass before. I just want something that looks decent (I don't plan on high traffic) tbh. If youve any photos of the wildflower that'd be grNd

IMG_4156.jpeg

Plant a double staggered row of leyland cypress :w00t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

Options: -

!) Till it over, replant with grass seed and will be good in three months.

2) As above and use some wild flower mix - one cut in Autumn

3) Till and plant Nasturtiums, Cosmos, Foxglove, Delphiniums, Canterbury bells, Marigolds, Salvias, lavender and watch the bees love you for your cottage garden....oh, don't forget the crocus and daffs for early colour.

4) Plant half of it as a veggie garden...runner beans, courgettes and onions are easy and worthwhile.

5) Block pave it and be destined to end up in hell!!!! 

5 was very much on the cards but I don't want to ruin the cherry tree in my front garden. 

I think I'll till it and plant the wildflower and see how that goes. When's best to replant this?

Any recommendations on a tiller would be handy. It's a small patch of grass yes, but I'd prefer not to break a sweat on my days off. 🤠

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Seriously, do you know what the soil is like?

A little patch of wildflowers would look great, and the bees will thank you.

Be great if you establish a mini meadow.

Aye it's brown and slidey when you walk across it... And compact enough to hold a buried trampoline in 70mph hour winds until the legs snap... 😂

Does anyone know what trees they are on the right hand side of the photo as well? I know it's a bad photo. 

I'd keen to plant this wildflower stuff and let it be. Something with a bit of color to go with the purple off tree when it blossoms. Wish it'd stick around a lot longer though...

• Haha 1

Mantis tillers are great for small allotments and gardens but wild flowers generally don't need nice soil and lots of things other plants demand. Lightly dig and rake is probably enough.

Scatter the seeds once the earth warms up after the frosts have finished, March/April will get it going. You could get some of them going in small compost filled pots. 

I am doing a similar bed in my garden and many of the plants I listed will flower from spring to autumn. Cosmos, Salvia, hotlips, marigolds, nasturtiums are all very bee friendly and have amazing flowering periods. It is great to see bees on a flower in November - that was the salvias last year. Any flower that has an open middle is good for the bees. A mini buddleia would be good if you want a shrub.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Membrane,any cheap gravel you like,then a packet or 2 of mexican fleabane (erigeron).You'll not be able to even see the stone in 2 odd years that I can promise you!Also they'll laugh at log-splitting activities plus you'll be the most flying insect friendly garden in the street too!