D-Max

Donnie

On 14/11/2023 at 08:41, GA Groundcare said:

We have a 1.9 Dmax, bought new in 2021 and has done 50 odd k now without a fault.

We tow wood chippers and can be pulling in the region of 3T when towing a tracked one with a plant trailer. Our salesman said it felt a little under powered on some of the hills when heavy towing. But to be honest I expect most pick ups do being under 200hp.

On the last service we had the approved Isuzu remap done by the Isuzu dealership. MPG is a little better however I think we have only towed road tows up to around 1tonne since.

Same on our 4x4 single cab. The remap is  very beneficial - I don't know why it isn't widely publicised and offered as standard option at purchase.

We added the airbag suspension to increase it from 3100kg to 3500kg as well. Makes it a brilliant allround package. 

Edited by richy_B

That's interesting to hear about the remap. I spoke with my local dealer about it, and he was adamant it would void the warranty, even though it has Isuzu's name on it. He has spoken at length with a few of the higher ups in Isuzu UK who all said the same thing. 

I'm the end I went with the Nav as it has 190bhp standard, and once the warranty is up I'll be taking it to Pendle Performance for a proper tune up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

That's interesting to hear about the remap. I spoke with my local dealer about it, and he was adamant it would void the warranty, even though it has Isuzu's name on it. He has spoken at length with a few of the higher ups in Isuzu UK who all said the same thing. 

I'm the end I went with the Nav as it has 190bhp standard, and once the warranty is up I'll be taking it to Pendle Performance for a proper tune up.

I got a 71 plate Nav and fitted a " tunit " box and blue tooth power pedal . Gives you back a few of the hidden dobbins . Supposed to be 230+ hp . 

• Like 2

I can't get my head around the little 1.9 engine. It must be working so hard I would have doubts on its longevity.. Get the 2.5 if you can

Check the chassis well on the age you are buying, they are prone to some rot especially if an ex farm vehicle or such. 

I don't think you can get a d-max of that age with a diff lock either so one to BIM if its going to be working in the sticky stuff. Little low slung but that's a cheap fix with peddars suspension. 

I put the 2 inch lift on my hilux and its been very good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronMike said:

Oooh, nice!

Its a 4 pot generic " van " engine made it seems by Renault . It has a twin turbo and comes out of the shop at 190hp . However I think on the drawing board they are probably a 300hp engine . De tuned to 190 as a big safety factor . The Tunit box ( that's their name ) gives you 237 hp without stressing it overly . Some how it drinks less fuel as well . Don't ask me how but it does.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Some how it drinks less fuel as well . Don't ask me how but it does.

IF you go easy with you right foot.

More power = less effort to achieve the same result.

Broadly speaking I do stuff in the Nav a gear higher than before the remap

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lux said:

I can't get my head around the little 1.9 engine. It must be working so hard I would have doubts on its longevity.. Get the 2.5 if you can

Check the chassis well on the age you are buying, they are prone to some rot especially if an ex farm vehicle or such. 

I don't think you can get a d-max of that age with a diff lock either so one to BIM if its going to be working in the sticky stuff. Little low slung but that's a cheap fix with peddars suspension. 

I put the 2 inch lift on my hilux and its been very good. 

I totally agree with your take on the engine size issue.

This planet-saving titchy engine bollocks isn’t going to work if the vehicle is written off after 10 years is it?

Then you’ve got to manufacture a new one.

That’s not very carbon friendly is it?

Plenty of old 3l donks will still be chugging away doing the business after 30 years.

• Like 6