Best commercial you can use as a car - over 2 ton rule?

Rob D

I thought the issue was that non car derived commercials and 4wd weighing greater than 2048kg empty were restricted to 60 on a dual carriageway and 50 on an unrestricted single carriageway. Not much chance of being caught but if you are and doing 70 on a dual you get fined and points for being 10+ over the limit. 70 on a single and it's 20mph over.

n

Edited by openspaceman
bad adding up
  • Like 1

Don't know about that, I guess that's more for anything fitted with a tacho ?.

It's why I was asking if the weight was necessary, as you could even include ford connect style things as they're more like cars than thirsty wallowing pickup's. @Rob D didn't really say why other than wanting commercial for tax purposes.

6 hours ago, Rob D said:

Has anyone dug deep into (or is there a thread on here) as to what are some of the best vehicles that can be put down as a commercial but are also practical as a day to day run around. Still seems a little of a grey area. I want a vehicle that I can use for work - still to the school run - and get the tax back as it's classed as a commercial vehicle.

It is a compromise if you don't want a thirsty 4x4 crewcab pick up. 

If you can manage with 2 seats there are lots of car derived vans. Fiesta, toyota corolla hybrid.   

I also believe crew vans are also OK but not 100 percent sure. Caddy or transit connect. 

HMRC have a list:

WWW.GOV.UK

VAT registered businesses can use this list to determine if VAT can be reclaimed as input tax on particular makes and models of car derived vans and combi vans.

Edited by benedmonds

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

It is a compromise if you don't want a thirsty 4x4 crewcab pick up. 

If you can manage with 2 seats there are lots of car derived vans. Fiesta, toyota corolla hybrid.   

I also believe crew vans are also OK but not 100 percent sure. Caddy or transit connect. 

The Ford connect van is available with three front seat, so does make it very practical....providing your family doesn't consist of three very large adults, as it can be a bit tight. Not too big, so you can't park it in a multi storey, not so small (esp lwb version) that you can't get anything in the back. They offer a car version of it, so they know to drive it has car characteristics

• Like 1

I’ve just gone down this route myself or at least done similar. I had a LWB Shogun for work, and a Passat CC for home. I’ve sold the Shogun (the Passat is still for sale if anyone is keen!) and bought a 2020 Navara. It has towing and load capacity I need for work, and it can accommodate the family easily enough too. Comfy to be in, getting 30+ mpg on longer runs, I’m happy with it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I’ve just gone down this route myself or at least done similar. I had a LWB Shogun for work, and a Passat CC for home. I’ve sold the Shogun (the Passat is still for sale if anyone is keen!) and bought a 2020 Navara. It has towing and load capacity I need for work, and it can accommodate the family easily enough too. Comfy to be in, getting 30+ mpg on longer runs, I’m happy with it.

Haven't you got some ludicrously powerful estate?