Drugs on site

Tree Brother

1 hour ago, Clutchy said:

I don't think anyone is naive enough on here to not know that say 50% of tree surgeons take some kind of drugs... but actively doing it on site, which I'm sure he was/going to (why else would you keep it on your person and not bag/in the van) is a big ol no no. 

However in almost every other industry where there are machines in use that can kill or maim there is a zero tolerance approach to drug taking, you wouldn't be going against things to do that

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

However in almost every other industry where there are machines in use that can kill or maim there is a zero tolerance approach to drug taking, you wouldn't be going against things to do that

True, but you would be very understaffed. 

When I was doing my climbing course there was a guy on their from Kent way who had just been fired along with 20 other colleagues when a new manager came in with the grand idea of a surpise drugs test. 

The company then couldn't fulfil their contractual obligations for that contract, was fined and the company later folded 

• Sad 1

Imagine what would happen if your subbie or employee whom you suspect to be a user is the cause of a fatal in or life-changing incident and it can subsequently be proven that you knew or suspected he was a user and did nothing.

I'm pretty sure that your life would take a significant turn for the worse. Is it worth the risk?

If the only way you can stay in business is by employing users then you really shouldn't be in business unless you find a way to manage the risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose it depends on wether or not you need drug tests to get on sites for your work.. cocaine does not stay In the system for long so for warn him if you’re expecting it to be an issue… I’ve had that happen when I was employed and they where expecting me and the other climber to go on night work on the motorways. 
As drugs go though it’s unfortunately a part of modern life, I’ve shared a house with a coke dealer who was my best mate so I’ve seen a lot of folk come and go through there sad existence and loose a lot of money and there lives fall apart  , personally I’ve lost family members and had good mates die though overdoses ,so I’ve got to say it does not appeal to me in any way once I got past 27.. even smoking a bit of weed to me was a graveyard of ambition for 15 years of my life that I regret… but it does seem to be part of society to have a drink and a cheeky line and to be honest if you employ people you have got to expect zero ambitions as a plus as it means they won’t try and take a grab for your business I guess… but on a whole the state of folk in general  that is why I would try and do as much as possible myself and employ only those I personally trust anyway… think this industry has always attracted shall we say some of the more on the outskirts of society that involve drugs.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Treewolf said:

If the only way you can stay in business is by employing users then you really shouldn't be in business unless you find a way to manage the risk.

Where about are you based?  How long have you worked in Arb?

IME there are a hell of a lot of wreck heads in this line of work in the UK.  I lived and worked in South East London for 16 years before I moved to Norway.

There are levels to these things.  

Of course if you have contracts that require random Drug and Alcohol tests then that is a necessity.  Most companies don’t have those obligations…

So to take a stab at someone saying they are not fit to run a business because they have a user on the crew, is a bit out of line IMO.

As for the naive, hypocritical people who think that drinking the night before is OK but drugs deserve them to receive a smack over the head with a shovel and then kicked off site.  

Get a fucking grip.

What type of drugs warrant a smack with a shovel?  Serious question?

Coffee?

Cocodamol?

Oxycontin?

Weed?

Tobacco?

Alcohol?

Poppers?

Amphetamines?

Anti depressants?

Allergy tablets?

Night nurse?

Cocaine?

Heroin?

any others?

They all have an effect on the person who takes them.

FTR I have worked with and don’t appreciate working with people who have had a skinful the night before.  Yet have worked with many a productive person who has had a joint the night before.

I don’t condone drinking and being hungover at all in this industry.  Nor taking drugs whilst at work.  The only thing warranting a smack over the head with a shovel is a crack head trying to steel my shit at lunch time.

As I said, there are levels.

Now to address the original post.  

Would you have known if he hadn’t dropped the baggie?  Was he generally a productive and safe climber who contributes to a good atmosphere and is a team player?  

IMO it was his fault to have it on site and drop it during the days work.  For that you need to have a word and decide if you need to take action.  He will have lost his own job through his own actions.

Of course if he has a major problem and can’t make it through a day without a line then he also has a problem.  A problem that requires money to fill his wants.  Again a dumb decision on his part for getting caught so deserves to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2