HS2 Over

JBH

10 hours ago, Big J said:

I've just become aware of the Danes building a sub-sea tunnel from Rødbyhavn to Puttgarden (I'm a little slow - they've been planning it for over a decade).

The projected cost for it (to be completed in 2029) is 6.1 billion euros, or 340 million per kilometer. 

HS2 will cost around £1 billion per kilometer, by the time it's finished. 

How on earth can building two train tracks across fairly flat English countryside cost more than three times as much as constructing a 4 lane motorway and 2 lane train tracks on the sea bed? 

And I bet the Danes finish the tunnel first too.

It's a ****************ing embarassment.

Well done for getting out mate.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GarethM said:

I'm not so sure, bridge = maintenance forever of the structure.

Concrete tunnel is a sealed thing, a lot of the recent tunnels are expensive because they actually buried 1 or 2 TBM as they started at both ends and did a 90 in the middle.

If memory serves there's a couple still in the channel tunnels.

They buried the bones not the heart, brain,fangs,muscles,intestines etc ...the carcass was thoroughly stripped before being entombed 😁

23 minutes ago, Canal Navvy said:

They buried the bones not the heart, brain,fangs,muscles,intestines etc ...the carcass was thoroughly stripped before being entombed 😁

I'd expect nothing less.

From an engineer perspective I would have thought they should be designed to remove or reverse drive everything except the cutting head/shield back out the tunnel.

2 hours ago, doobin said:

It's a ****************ing embarassment.

Well done for getting out mate.

It wasn't plain sailing really. Between Covid and Brexit and actually emigrating, it's financially ruined us, but we're happy here and life is a whole lot better. I feel optimistic about the future, and doubly so for my children.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Big J said:

It wasn't plain sailing really. Between Covid and Brexit and actually emigrating, it's financially ruined us, but we're happy here and life is a whole lot better. I feel optimistic about the future, and doubly so for my children.

Did you ever get the money you were owed from that older couple you were having problems with J, What have you done with the machine you took over there ?

Edited by topchippyles

4 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Did you ever get the money you were owed from that older couple you were having problems with J, What have you done with the machine you took over there ?

No. Their financial position was such that pursuing it would have been pointless.

I sold my machinery here, and have one machine left in the UK which is being sold next month.

It's all a bit messy and we quickly found that once we were no longer in the UK, people became less willing to pay us. But I suppose that's understandable given that we lost most of our avenues to chase (you need to have an address in the UK).

C'est la vie. You try to do what's best for your family and for yourself. In almost all regards, we're way better off. Just not financially. 

Since moving here, I've personally been working on my physical health. With the 21,000km of cycling, restarting weight training, restarting table tennis, learning to ski and learning to ice skate, I'm actually fitter than when I was 20 (I'm 40 this year and I was a very fit 20 year old). As a family, our diet and lifestyle has improved immeasurably, the kids are close to being conversational in Swedish (it takes a while as everyone speaks English) and work is good too (albeit a little quieter than I'd like just now).

Anyway, I've derailed the thread!  🤪

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Big J said:

No. Their financial position was such that pursuing it would have been pointless.

I sold my machinery here, and have one machine left in the UK which is being sold next month.

It's all a bit messy and we quickly found that once we were no longer in the UK, people became less willing to pay us. But I suppose that's understandable given that we lost most of our avenues to chase (you need to have an address in the UK).

C'est la vie. You try to do what's best for your family and for yourself. In almost all regards, we're way better off. Just not financially. 

Since moving here, I've personally been working on my physical health. With the 21,000km of cycling, restarting weight training, restarting table tennis, learning to ski and learning to ice skate, I'm actually fitter than when I was 20 (I'm 40 this year and I was a very fit 20 year old). As a family, our diet and lifestyle has improved immeasurably, the kids are close to being conversational in Swedish (it takes a while as everyone speaks English) and work is good too (albeit a little quieter than I'd like just now).

Anyway, I've derailed the thread!  🤪

Quality of life doesn’t have to be all about the bottom line 👍

• Like 7

20 hours ago, GarethM said:

I'd expect nothing less.

From an engineer perspective I would have thought they should be designed to remove or reverse drive everything except the cutting head/shield back out the tunnel.

Won't fit back up the tunnel-it concrete sections are laid behind it as it goes, narrowing the bore.