HS2 Over

JBH

WWW.FARMINGUK.COM

Rural campaigners are calling on the government to extend the 'right of first refusal' to all land that has been subject to...

There is currently no right for the original landowner to get their land back - HS2 Ltd may sell the land on the open market, and it could be bought by anyone.

Heard  a rumour from  someone who knows  a contractor working on it that some  land bought for phase two has being wrecked already but might not be true as reports saying nothing  was started?

Personally I think it should of never been started and the money spent elsewhere like on the road (cart track) network we have and flood defences,, we can't run the trains we have now yet alone another lot,, 

This is from a freind who works on HS2 and in his words,, he goes down to Kent gets put up in a travel lodge, works in a shitty wooden office on a site, come  Friday afternoon he gets back in to London to gets train back to Preston and sorry but all cancelled till 6am, so book in to another hotel in central London then get his train morning after, Friday night he should of been out with his wife n kids but it's 11am sat morning when he gets home, parking has run out on train station car park so that's another problem and expense he has to sort out, 

When the cancellation was rumoured a few wk back I asked if it woukd affect his job, his words where not f******,g bothered I am sick of working with clowns who know FA and get paid 10 times more than me,, if I can't get a train from Euston to Preston on the West Coast main line on a Friday afternoon there not much chance of some one going from London to Glasgow is there,, this guy and myself bothe said there are massive issues ahead for HS2 and one thing for sure I have predicted frombthe start with it is that it will definitely go down on the history books as on of the biggest white elephants in British history !!.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stere said:
WWW.FARMINGUK.COM

Rural campaigners are calling on the government to extend the 'right of first refusal' to all land that has been subject to...

Heard  a rumour from  someone who knows  a contractor working on it that some  land bought for phase two has being wrecked already but might not be true as reports saying nothing  was started?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Despite efforts to mitigate biodiversity loss, planning has destroyed parts of ancient woodlands and damage will continue...

Just a rumour apparently, the wrecking work for phase two hasn't really been started in earnest yet. Not that that's going to improve the situation though, according to this.

What a massively embarrassing episode for British transport history.

A few of the major problems:

1) the insistence on higher speed (rather than settling for 'just' 300kph) hugely inflated costs. France builds it's HGV network for ten times less than the projected cost of HS2.

2) vast sums of money tunnelising the track through the home counties to appease Tory voters. 

3) they didn't even ask the chief executive of HS1 to be involved, despite it being delivered on time and on budget. 

There are many more but it's humiliating that the UK cannot build just one arterial high speed line. Look at Spain, France and Germany. Industrialised nations with challenging topography and extensive networks build at a tiny fraction of the cost. 

Which ever government spearheads the next major transport project needs to take a long, hard look at HS2 and why it's gone so badly. 

On its original timescale, it wouldn't have reached Manchester until the 2040s which in and of itself I find staggering. Are they laying it by hand? 

What a flustercuck.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Big J said:

What a massively embarrassing episode for British transport history.

A few of the major problems:

1) the insistence on higher speed (rather than settling for 'just' 300kph) hugely inflated costs. France builds it's HGV network for ten times less than the projected cost of HS2.

2) vast sums of money tunnelising the track through the home counties to appease Tory voters. 

3) they didn't even ask the chief executive of HS1 to be involved, despite it being delivered on time and on budget. 

There are many more but it's humiliating that the UK cannot build just one arterial high speed line. Look at Spain, France and Germany. Industrialised nations with challenging topography and extensive networks build at a tiny fraction of the cost. 

Which ever government spearheads the next major transport project needs to take a long, hard look at HS2 and why it's gone so badly. 

On its original timescale, it wouldn't have reached Manchester until the 2040s which in and of itself I find staggering. Are they laying it by hand? 

What a flustercuck.

I agree with all that.  What a massive waste - they have even bought the land which the government plans to re-sell.  All the nimby grief has been gone through, we might as well complete the job or at least pause it until some savings can be found.

Plus with the economy about to go into recession, infrastructure spending gives a massive boost to the economy or multiplier effect via employment.  This has a more direct effect on economic growth than any tax cut.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

I agree with all that.  What a massive waste - they have even bought the land which the government plans to re-sell.  All the nimby grief has been gone through, we might as well complete the job or at least pause it until some savings can be found.

Plus with the economy about to go into recession, infrastructure spending gives a massive boost to the economy or multiplier effect via employment.  This has a more direct effect on economic growth than any tax cut.

Why not poll who actually want it!.

Personally I don't want, need or desire to go to the London hellscape or Birmingham.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Why not poll who actually want it!.

Personally I don't want, need or desire to go to the London hellscape or Birmingham.

Well I do, but I respect your decision not to.  Even then congestion in the Midlands in terms of too many trains sharing lines and high passenger numbers has a knock on effect on other UK lines and forces people back onto the roads.