WOW

Kylus Sylvestris

On 01/10/2023 at 21:29, Mark Bolam said:

Forestry England aren’t much better than The National Trust when it comes to these decisions.

They had the ‘Old Man of Kent’ felled at Bedgebury Pinetum , all 55 meters of it, due to excessive decay and the risk of failure.

I ringed up the entire stem and took it to the yard to be made into play grade chip so the Tunbridge Wells kiddies don’t get their Gucci clothing dirty when they are on the swings.

It was solid all the way to the main fork where one of the three leaders had previously blown out in a storm, inspection of this revealed a small rot pocket and honey bees.

Just drove past this lovely Black Poplar in the grounds of the Deal castle, oddly enough, the frequent residence of The Duke of Wellington. 
English Heritage must have thought, feck it, let’s butcher our trees quick whilst everyone is looking the other way at The National Trust.

IMG_3916.jpeg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I remember the Old Man of Kent saga.

It wasn’t long after that Kaiser Chiefs gig we were at.

Navin Sehmi took it down with a 60m MEWP.

Real shame, it wasn’t the best looking tree, but it was pretty impressive.

That’s right, Navins crew took it down, they did a good job of it too.

Totally pointless removal when all said and done.

• Like 1

I'll save you the trouble of a rhetoric filled eco loon article, we want money!.

If they believed in all the stuff they waffle on about, whilst being huge land owners they could have easily started at one end and grew trees incrementally for practically nothing except the cost of a few saplings every year.

9 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I'll save you the trouble of a rhetoric filled eco loon article, we want money!.

If they believed in all the stuff they waffle on about, whilst being huge land owners they could have easily started at one end and grew trees incrementally for practically nothing except the cost of a few saplings every year.

I never read it all but basically stated that these uplands are pretty barren regards tree cover. I'm not a fan of a lot of Guardian stuff but it's obvious that uplands are overgrazed. How often will you see just occasional scattered trees and zero saplings growing to replace them... I'm not sure if you're referring to the Guardian or National Trust, etc regarding wanting money and being huge landowners.

All it needs is a few mature trees to be fenced off and natural regeneration would occur and not get browsed/grazed. This should be govt. funded in my opinion.

• Like 2

Something big  private estates, many now managed  by NT used to  is do plant parkland trees & small fenced  copse woods avenues etc and hedgerow treees to improve landscapes. This must of stopped  being done much  over 100yrs yrs ago judging  by age of the youngest trees.

Loads of massive 300ys old oaks limes etc etc but theres  near zero specimen type new trees being planted   to replace them once they eventually die.

Thats what ive noticed  on all the old estates round here anyway... Still natural regen in the unmanaged  woodland blocks though many are full of Rhododendron.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stere said:

Something big  private estates, many now managed  by NT used to  is do plant parkland trees & small fenced  copse woods avenues etc and hedgerow trees to improve landscapes. This must of stopped  being done much  over 100yrs yrs ago judging  by age of the youngest trees.

I suspect "We want money" has a lot to do with that. 50 years ago the trees planted 100 years ago were still quite young, no panic, spend the estates money on other things. No new trees planted for 50 years.

• Like 1