WOW

Kylus Sylvestris

14 hours ago, renewablejohn said:

Think you will find when the full story comes out there is a very good reason.

There'll undoubtedly be a reason, but it won't be a good one. There is no justification for this.

I also think that the public backlash will make life very difficult for the perpetrators to the extent that they'll probably come to regret it. Joe Public will probably end end paying for their protection.

I wonder if the movie is planned yet.

4 hours ago, doobin said:

???

you’re going to have to explain a bit more. 

are you saying the tenant had timber rights and felled this before his tenancy lapsed to spite the landlord for not renewing the lease? If the tree wasn’t officially protected then this might actually be legal!

As I said I am not going to speculate but looking through the normal landlord tenant agreement I came to the same conclusion as you regarding whether it was legal or not.

3 hours ago, Steven P said:

Not sure how this goes with a tree that was there well before the tenancy started, probably had very little care or input from the tenant. Might be different if for example the tenant had planted an orchard. However I don't think that this counts as coppicing either

Who would put money on this sycamore not growing back if fenced off so the public/wildlife cannot damage it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

Who would put money on this sycamore not growing back if fenced off so the public/wildlife cannot damage it.

Given its age and the exposed location I think its chances are fairly slim. Had it been a younger tree, in a more favourable position, you would have struggled to stop it coppicing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slicer Dicer said:
WWW.HEXHAM-COURANT.CO.UK

A FARMING family has claimed that a dog walker left one of their sheep for dead after a vicious attack by...

I can see that such a popular spot could have been cause for contention. This kind of thing going on and other such things not that it excuses doing this 😡 That's the son- clearly not a 16 yr old. The father could be in his 60s though. All speculation of course. Was the tree actually protected? Got a feeling whoever did perhaps knew it wasn't..?

That article is 3 years old.

31 minutes ago, Honda said:

That article is 3 years old.

Yes I know, I wasn't suggesting that the article was the reason specifically but just highlighting that they've obviously had issues in the past as most farmers will have when the public come on to their land en masse. Personally I'd doubt it was the farmer tbh- they're generally pretty in touch with local sentiment and the vulnerability of upsetting the apple cart so to speak.

Long time generational farming family.  Even if there tenancy had been terminated prior to this for whatever reason- they'd have to be pretty idiotic to do something like this and expect to be successful taking on another tenancy elsewhere.

Edited by Slicer Dicer

19 hours ago, Slicer Dicer said:

Yes I know, I wasn't suggesting that the article was the reason specifically but just highlighting that they've obviously had issues in the past as most farmers will have when the public come on to their land en masse. Personally I'd doubt it was the farmer tbh- they're generally pretty in touch with local sentiment and the vulnerability of upsetting the apple cart so to speak.

Long time generational farming family.  Even if there tenancy had been terminated prior to this for whatever reason- they'd have to be pretty idiotic to do something like this and expect to be successful taking on another tenancy elsewhere.

It’s actually very hard bordering upon impossible for a landlord to terminate a three generation farming tenancy from the 70s. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Given its age and the exposed location I think its chances are fairly slim. Had it been a younger tree, in a more favourable position, you would have struggled to stop it coppicing.

I think they meant- whoever chopped the fu€ker down, will also make an effort to prevent it surviving. I think if fenced off and not attacked by humans, it would grow back successfully.

• Like 1