Postage at £4.95+vat per order - discuss

Rob D

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Fair enough. I don't think you can run an online sales business, where the business absorbs some of the postage costs.  Ultimately this distorts the margin and provides an incentive to put up prices which ultimately makes comparison difficult as a consumer.  Sometimes groups go even further and the exact postage is calculated based on a postcode and the size of the items in the basket.

The products we sell are so varying in size and shape it's too hard to do - we tried - and died 😬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarethM said:

You say that, but just make it clear at the basket 1st.

I hate companies that only add the postage at the very end, I usually then say stuff it and head to eBay as they're atleast honest from the outset.

Yep I think at least if it is at the top of the page and obvious the choice is then yours.

52 minutes ago, Will C said:

It’s about the overall package for me, if I’m pricing it up I’m pricinglike for like delivered to my door/local dealer. Just be honest and don’t add the postage at the end make it plain to see. 
we buy all our saw bars and milling stuff from you guys - bars because sugi bars offer the best value for money in my opinion and the milling kits because you stock good kit at sensible prices and back it up with good advice and knowledge over the phone or e mail if needed.

All the rest I buy local if I can as I feel it’s important to buy local as far as possible. My priority is local dealer, uk dealer, followed by rest of world. There are exceptions when you need a cheap crap item for a one off throw away job then unfortunately Amazon or fleabay normally wins. 

Thanks for the feedback - and your business :)

Yep I think if we make it obvious seems to be a common theme - even if you don't like it you can then go elsewhere without filling in all the nonsense at checkout before knowing.

Simple clear rules mean less overall cost and easier for you the customer to understand - even if you are not happy about them!

• Like 1

Seems fair Rob. I would rather not make an order for a single item from you anyway as it seems a waste of time and effort. I prefer to shove stuff into my basket and wait till I have what I need in there before ordering. I believe in the have two of everything rule so try to always by two of any small item to make it worthwhile. Anyway thanks for the update. 

Live long and prosper. Godspeed!!!!

• Like 4

I think there might be different types of buyers, pro users are less likely to just order one or two items, so a flat rate per parcel is fine. Also looking for quality and service.

Occasional users probably order one chain and it's going to be difficult to keep them happy as you are competing purely on price which means against Amazon. Probably not a game you can win.

I think as tree surgeons we all try to convince our customers not to just choose the cheapest price and we need to take our own advice sometimes. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with charging £4.95 + vat. That's what we charge up to 2kg first class, providing it's not an oversized item then it may go 2nd class. Very small items will be cheaper though. Anything large will go parcel force at £12.95 + vat. We don't do website orders as yet, which makes things easier as it's all over the phone and can tell people direct what costs will be.

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Within this thread lies a pretty good argument for using your local retailer...

True Joe but that would be the end for us if everyone did that as we are internet only. Also - we stock around 10 times the range of bars and chains any local dealer would have [as well as a lot of other stuff]. We don't look to compete on price but on what is in stock and range of product as well as hopefully service and back up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Within this thread lies a pretty good argument for using your local retailer...

Yes and no I think.  

if I just need a couple of small items , let’s say a couple of sprockets as mentioned for instance. I’d rather pay 4.95 postage than take an hour out of my day going to honey brothers and back when i can just click and have them delivered.  

bigger items , yeah I’m off to the shop to get hands on before I buy. 

• Like 1

No issues with this at all Rob. Like you say, if it's at the top of the web page for all to see then it's a simple choice.

I can't see how anyone would really think they are ever getting truly 'free' postage. The costs have to be added somewhere.

I also disagree with those who say adding postage at the end seems dishonest. Surely until the basket is tallied up and the destination known it's difficult to give a fair and accurate cost?