Lanyard idea.

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, treevolution said:

Dropping a chainsaw and then having to pull it up each time you want to use it just sounds like a total waste of energy.

I would rather see a young climber turn off a saw and high clip while not using a saw rather then having the thing dangling around your feet running with the chance of catching your legs with a running chain (if you have forgotten to put the chain break on and the saw starts to run low on fuel).

Notch have a lanyard out where you can add tool carabiner onto it for a high clip.

I don’t believe pulling up a running 201 is more effort that unclipping it from your belt and pulling the starter cord (assuming it starts first pull)

Fair play to Mr OP if you can sort out that design of lanyard, you may need a budget akin to NASA' S but it could be doable.

As for high clipping a topper, it's the bomb. I can put up with any downsides as I would rather spend five minutes smashing the fook out of any saw that has the sheer audacity to get itself stuck in a fork than descend  three feet to retrieve the cheeky bstard.

Btw, I'm not a shill for big ring bungee.

On 02/09/2023 at 18:25, Mick Dempsey said:

Seems obvious but doesn’t seem to be on the market.

I don’t stow my saw as a rule, weird but that’s the way I started out and I don’t seem to break the habit, but if this existed I might do it more

So the idea..

A dog lead type lanyard that stops hard at arms length, but reels in as you move it towards your harness for stowing (the stowing hook on the reeling in device) Got to be robust for bigger saws (560 max anything bigger might be too much for the spring)

I’d pay €200 for something like that.

Does it already exist? If not why not?

Hi there,

Now, i know **************** all of such things, but would it be possible to have a reel type arrangment on your harness as follows..

Nice light spring in the reel so that you can pull the saw upwards and away from yourself to make a cut, unimpeded by a heavy return spring.

Now for the clever bit.. Could the reel have a "vee" shaped slot where the rope pays out. This would mean that if there were to be a knot or similar in the rope about 3 feet from the end, you could grab the saw and lift it up to use it and the rope [and knot] would pass through the wide part of the "vee" unimpeded, but then you could simply, pull the saw in towards you and then drop it, only this time, as the rope payed out again, the knot would, [the rope now being pulled in a downwards direction] catch in the lower narrow part of the "Vee" and therefore, the saw would come to a hard stop as you wanted???

john..

4 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi there,

Now, i know **************** all of such things, but would it be possible to have a reel type arrangment on your harness as follows..

Nice light spring in the reel so that you can pull the saw upwards and away from yourself to make a cut, unimpeded by a heavy return spring.

Now for the clever bit.. Could the reel have a "vee" shaped slot where the rope pays out. This would mean that if there were to be a knot or similar in the rope about 3 feet from the end, you could grab the saw and lift it up to use it and the rope [and knot] would pass through the wide part of the "vee" unimpeded, but then you could simply, pull the saw in towards you and then drop it, only this time, as the rope payed out again, the knot would, [the rope now being pulled in a downwards direction] catch in the lower narrow part of the "Vee" and therefore, the saw would come to a hard stop as you wanted???

john..

Thanks John, I’ll digest this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Fair play to Mr OP if you can sort out that design of lanyard, you may need a budget akin to NASA' S but it could be doable.

As for high clipping a topper, it's the bomb. I can put up with any downsides as I would rather spend five minutes smashing the fook out of any saw that has the sheer audacity to get itself stuck in a fork than descend  three feet to retrieve the cheeky bstard.

Btw, I'm not a shill for big ring bungee.

That’s exactly what a shill for big ring bungee WOULD say!

Good chat anyway, think I’ll just get on with work now, give up on the inventing for a bit!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi there,

john..

That's a good idea.

• Like 1

Ok, back in the game!

Something like this (from the site @NJA posted) but with a powered retractor.

So you never touched the cable (cable is awkward to handle and lanyard material and rope difficult to reel up) 

So you cut, tap the cover with your elbow and it reels the saw up, killing two birds (high clipping and tidying the cable/rope in one)

IMG_3146.png

• Like 2