Lanyard idea.

Mick Dempsey

Theoretically possible I suppose. 

But it’s a very precise button that needs pressure for a few seconds. 

Back to the subject. 
I had a young climber stripping a birch a while back, just straight up, a few dozen  branches no more than 1 or 2 inches thick. He was cutting what was in reach, turning the saw off, stowing the saw, moving up, unpacking the saw, starting the saw, cutting a few more before repeating the process. Total lack of rhythm and momentum. 
Much better when he did as I said and let the saw drop on the lanyard, keeping it running, then pulling it up to cut, lower the saw to move up on the flip line.

High clipping made the process slower in that case. 

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Back to the subject. 
I had a young climber stripping a birch a while back, just straight up, a few dozen  branches no more than 1 or 2 inches thick. He was cutting what was in reach, turning the saw off, stowing the saw, moving up, unpacking the saw, starting the saw, cutting a few more before repeating the process. Total lack of rhythm and momentum. 
Much better when he did as I said and let the saw drop on the lanyard, keeping it running, then pulling it up to cut, lower the saw to move up on the flip line.

Nothing wrong with leaving the saw running while high clipped imo

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Back to the subject. 

In that particular case, agreed. But given the ubiquity of battery toppers the starting is a non issue now.

My lanyard (all lanyards?) came with a ring on the saw end. The tail of the lanyard cinches to the saw, and the ring dangles just above this. You can grasp the ring and lift the saw.

Petzl carritool clip on my harness, to stow the saw just snap the ring into the clip. There's a hand changeover involved, to move the right hand from the saw top handle to the ring. If I'm cutting two handed, this isn't a problem as my left hand is already grasping the side handle and all I do is move my right hand to the ring.

To unclip, I locate the clip and ring with muscle memory or feel, grab the ring with my right hand and twist. The ring kind of twists itself out of the tool clip, opening and snapping the wire gate.

Time in seconds is lost by clipping and unclipping, it's true. But it is comparable to pulling up a hanging saw.

2 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

In that particular case, agreed. But given the ubiquity of battery toppers the starting is a non issue now.

My lanyard (all lanyards?) came with a ring on the saw end. The tail of the lanyard cinches to the saw, and the ring dangles just above this. You can grasp the ring and lift the saw.

Petzl carritool clip on my harness, to stow the saw just snap the ring into the clip. There's a hand changeover involved, to move the right hand from the saw top handle to the ring. If I'm cutting two handed, this isn't a problem as my left hand is already grasping the side handle and all I do is move my right hand to the ring.

To unclip, I locate the clip and ring with muscle memory or feel, grab the ring with my right hand and twist. The ring kind of twists itself out of the tool clip, opening and snapping the wire gate.

Time in seconds is lost by clipping and unclipping, it's true. But it is comparable to pulling up a hanging saw.

The battery saw thing is relevant, I think it’s one reason why a simpler way of high clipping is waiting to be developed.

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Isn’t there a real chance of burning a hole in your trousers from the exhaust?

Fumes not an issue?

I've been high clipping for eternity.  Sometime I leave the saw running, (CB on of course), other times I turn it off.

Never burnt my arse yet.

The only thing I have every done like that is burn a hole, just to the side of my nether region, with a Petrol hedge trimmer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Anyone with any sense! This is actually one thing I dislike about the battery saws, it being theoretically possible to knock off the chainbrake and rev the motor with the saw at your side. I suppose the husky model at least had an off off button*

*that, and that the battery has probably  just fallen out.

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Back to the subject. 

Dropping a chainsaw and then having to pull it up each time you want to use it just sounds like a total waste of energy.

I would rather see a young climber turn off a saw and high clip while not using a saw rather then having the thing dangling around your feet running with the chance of catching your legs with a running chain (if you have forgotten to put the chain break on and the saw starts to run low on fuel).

Notch have a lanyard out where you can add tool carabiner onto it for a high clip.

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Isn’t there a real chance of burning a hole in your trousers from the exhaust?

Fumes not an issue?

Hasn't been a problem so far. If you've stowed the saw by the side handle the exhaust points away from you and if you hang it by a carabiner through the attachment loop on the saw the exhaust points behind you.

Fumes are no issue to me, they're much worse when you're in a conny hedge.

• Like 2