Plum tree advice

Rich Rule

Morning, I was round at a friends house last night and they have a number of plum trees growing beside their driveway.

The trees look generally in good vigour and have very little deadwood.  She  prunes the trees regularly and there’s a decent harvest of plums.

The owner asked me why some are starting to go mouldy?  Is it a form or fungus affecting them?

I am far from an expert in pest and disease in fruit trees, so I thought I would pose the question here.

Any help is appreciated.

I have taken a couple of pictures.  Some leaves are starting to wilt and the fruit start by initially going purple before the mould sets in.

Any ideas on the cause and the treatment going forward.

So far she has been removing the affected fruit when she notices it.  The had a half a bucket full a couple of day before I was there.

TIA.

IMG_7447.thumb.jpeg.3fc632671b1608d54c51756b7a1fc6c2.jpeg

IMG_7446.thumb.jpeg.2cfd1678bee467af0b79283a2a49d183.jpeg

IMG_7448.thumb.jpeg.6ac8fc3a73b9860989269fef8781c254.jpeg

That does look very like brown rot; it took most of last year's tiny plum crop last year and is present in the apples now so we're picking them and burying them.  Composting shouldn't be an option unless you can guarantee commercial hot composting temperatures.

@Peasgood is probably the man to ask

12 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Morning, I was round at a friends house last night and they have a number of plum trees growing beside their driveway.

The trees look generally in good vigour and have very little deadwood.  She  prunes the trees regularly and there’s a decent harvest of plums.

The owner asked me why some are starting to go mouldy?  Is it a form or fungus affecting them?

I am far from an expert in pest and disease in fruit trees, so I thought I would pose the question here.

Any help is appreciated.

I have taken a couple of pictures.  Some leaves are starting to wilt and the fruit start by initially going purple before the mould sets in.

Any ideas on the cause and the treatment going forward.

So far she has been removing the affected fruit when she notices it.  The had a half a bucket full a couple of day before I was there.

TIA.

IMG_7447.thumb.jpeg.3fc632671b1608d54c51756b7a1fc6c2.jpeg

IMG_7446.thumb.jpeg.2cfd1678bee467af0b79283a2a49d183.jpeg

IMG_7448.thumb.jpeg.6ac8fc3a73b9860989269fef8781c254.jpeg

Most of my plums are suffering from brown rot this year,  a month of very wet humid weather hasn't helped.

Those leaves are classic silver leaf . I heavily pruned a cherry with Silver leaf, which so far is still looking healthy 2 years later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nepia said:

@Peasgood is probably the man to ask

Not very up on my plums tbh.

It does look very much like silverleaf on those leaves.

There seems to be an extra amount of plum moth about this year. Those plums look like they have been damaged by moth/maggot and allowed entry to rot. Wouldn't like to give a full answer without having your plums in my hand tbh. :D

• Haha 1