Bands of yesteryear

eggsarascal

5 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

1986 Madness, Victoria Hall, Hanley. I’ve seen them a few times since, brilliant live band. No pictures so it didn’t happen…

Madness played the show at the opening of the restored Hastings Pier a few years back. Turns out Suggs is from Hastings, he screwed down the last plank, pointed from the stage at the house on the hill he grew up in, then they blew the place apart, a great live act.

21 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

The Pistols had nothing on SLF, the Buzzcocks, ever fallen in love, is one of the best punk songs ever, imo.

Might of been , i got in the cupboard, but that concert i went to was awfull they needed to turn something down and something up as you could not hear much of Pete Scheely

14 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Madness played the show at the opening of the restored Hastings Pier a few years back. Turns out Suggs is from Hastings, he screwed down the last plank, pointed from the stage at the house on the hill he grew up in, then they blew the place apart, a great live act.

Hastings Pier Pavilion was my local venue in the late 70s; saw The Stranglers twice, The Clash, Steve Gibbons Band, Eddie and the Hot Rods and many others forgotten

• Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 23:30, eggsarascal said:

Boom Town Rats was one I didn’t get to see, unfortunately.

They were brilliant in Brighton c1980.  I don't like Geldof much but he is certainly a performer; half the gig was him talking to the audience and forming an excellent rapport.  He's quite the showman

• Like 2

Only ‘real’ concert I’ve ever been to was Kylie Minogue at the O2 circa 2003

Was a birthday present to the wife from her sister, we’d just started going out together so I had to go along.

Bloody awful.

Apart from the women there were two sorts of blokes there, bored husbands/boyfriends and homosexual men (I’m aware in a Venn diagram there would have been some overlap)

Worst bit was when they all sang Happy Birthday to her.

I saw the Tourists at Reading University and later the Eurythmics at Wembley Arena:  I was underwhelmed by the live performances both times given the great music they wrote.

Dire Straits... the best name ever for a live band. Wembley Arena again and they were truly awful; the only bits of Mark Knoppfler that moved were his hands and lips.  Dire indeed.

Steve Winwood at the Albert Hall: another disappointing one as the acoustics were dreadful - every song sounded the same.  The place should stick to classical music!

Best gig ever for me - Peter Gabriel at ?Earl's Court.  The man's a magician.  So imaginative and does so much with so little in the way of props.  Saw him again years later Wembley Arena when he has more rotund and had his daughter as his lead backing singer.  Still excellent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nepia said:

I saw the Tourists at Reading University and later the Eurythmics at Wembley Arena:  I was underwhelmed by the live performances both times given the great music they wrote.

Dire Straits... the best name ever for a live band. Wembley Arena again and they were truly awful; the only bits of Mark Knoppfler that moved were his hands and lips.  Dire indeed.

Steve Winwood at the Albert Hall: another disappointing one as the acoustics were dreadful - every song sounded the same.  The place should stick to classical music!

Best gig ever for me - Peter Gabriel at ?Earl's Court.  The man's a magician.  So imaginative and does so much with so little in the way of props.  Saw him again years later Wembley Arena when he has more rotund and had his daughter as his lead backing singer.  Still excellent.

There is nothing worse than a performer who really lets you down.

A mate went to watch Neil Young after he had been off the scene for a good while and had come back touring a new album. He played the whole new album, then re-entered the stage to do the encore and told the audience “he was going to play them something they had heard before”, he then played the new album again!

Peter Gabriel or PGAB as they like to call him, is massive here in France.

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 1

Used to go to a good few gigs - a few of the highlights are ;

AC/DC, U2, the smiths, Nirvarna, Pixies, the Pouges (with and without Kirsty Mc Coll), Pulp, Blur and a few Glastonbury’s 20 or so years ago. I got to see the most awesome Johnny Cash there amongst others.

• Like 1