Why have almost all Eucalyptus died this year?

Clutchy

Based in Essex but I've noticed it in surrounding areas, literally the majority have died in the last 6 months. Anyone else noticed? 

Once I started looking its all I could see, definitely more dead than alive. 

I know they shed leaves but they shouldn't be 100% brown. 

I actually quite like them ☹️

• Like 1

If it's from earlier frost damage they should sprout up again. Whether they would have declined when/if damage actually occurred - I'm not sure.

The regrowth ability will be same response to bush fires in native Australia..

If disease then probably not sprout back??

Also drought- you would think resilient..

Yeah Portugal has huge commercial euc plantations surely if it was  drought, it would hammer them with the climate they get there as I thought it was both drier and hottter than UK - but  im just guessing....?

Wonder how  the  forestry ones Big J planted in UK are doing - he know abit about eucs?

Also  as theres huge ranges of euc species suited to diffferent enviros some might thrive whilst others fail?

Some disease maybe...?

Edited by Stere

I realise there are many different eucalyptus varieties but it is planted the world over in the most arid conditions (Atakama desert for example) as its ability to find water where almost none exists is legendary.  Indeed it is regarded in some areas as a major pest as it sucks up the water so well that little else survives. 

I travelled extensively in Peru years ago and Eucalypts were everywhere - for firewood of course.

Seen loads round here mid Essex - some really big ones as well that’ll have to come down sooner or later.

took a relatively small 30ft leaner out yesterday- 60% of it brown. When I priced it a month ago it was just for reduction and dead sections removal but it had declined so much by the time we got to it that owner decided it had to go. Had to rig every section as as it was over a beautiful patio and decking ☹️