Ya know them days being a subbie chews at you?

eggsarascal

On 24/05/2023 at 13:26, eggsarascal said:

It is, the work is handy though, little travelling because it’s a franchise and they can’t go out of their territory, he’s just pissed me off. He text me earlier asking me to call him. When I’m off my high horse I’ll see how I feel.

You mean he wants you to call him now he knows you are moving on?  

If so I’d say be polite but factual - apart from a short-term vent, I’d say not a lot to be gained from giving it both barrels.  

So along the lines of: 

- I’m an experienced subcontractor and I want the job to be beneficial for me and my employer

- It wasn’t helpful to feel like I was being micro-managed (saying how you feel is good - he can’t say “I wasn’t micromanaging you” because you didn’t say that he was, only that it felt that way)

- I’ve found a different opportunity now so am going to move on, no hard feelings

If he promises to keep his nose out and potentially comes up with some sweetener, would you stay?  If so, then worth having in the back of your mind what you (realistically) want before you pick up the phone.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, djbobbins said:

You mean he wants you to call him now he knows you are moving on?  

If so I’d say be polite but factual - apart from a short-term vent, I’d say not a lot to be gained from giving it both barrels.  

So along the lines of: 

- I’m an experienced subcontractor and I want the job to be beneficial for me and my employer

- It wasn’t helpful to feel like I was being micro-managed (saying how you feel is good - he can’t say “I wasn’t micromanaging you” because you didn’t say that he was, only that it felt that way)

- I’ve found a different opportunity now so am going to move on, no hard feelings

If he promises to keep his nose out and potentially comes up with some sweetener, would you stay?  If so, then worth having in the back of your mind what you (realistically) want before you pick up the phone.  

Yes, he knows he's rattled me and now wants me to call him. I wouldn't dream of mouthing to him, I'll be polite but firm. If I need a second pair of hands it's his son, or I'm out. Slowly calming down... I'll give myself blood pressure!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes, he knows he's rattled me and now wants me to call him. I wouldn't dream of mouthing to him, I'll be polite but firm. If I need a second pair of hands it's his son, or I'm out. Slowly calming down... I'll give myself blood pressure!

Why should you be the one calling him if he feels the need to have a conversation? Surely he could just pick up the phone and give you a bell. 

Polite but firm is an excellent manner to adopt. 

Who cares. Let him keep you on a studded lead and call you pipebitch, as long as he pays for it. He can be pleased by thinking he’s the brains. You can be pleased by taking his money and forgetting he exists by ten past four. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AHPP said:

Who cares. Let him keep you on a studded lead and call you pipebitch, as long as he pays for it. He can be pleased by thinking he’s the brains. You can be pleased by taking his money and forgetting he exists by ten past four. 

He already pays for Eggs to plunge his arms into shit, it's gotta be extra for the kinky shit?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, AHPP said:

I care, I’m to long in the tooth to be told about a job I’ve done since you were a kid. We’ve sorted it, for now, and I’ve picked up some other work.

19 hours ago, AHPP said:

You would care as well, otherwise you wouldn’t have posted 3200 times on a work related forum.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You would care as well, otherwise you wouldn’t have posted 3200 times on a work related forum.

I actually agree with Alex on this one. Most people who use me do so because I know my job and do it well. If someone wants to tell me how to do it against my experience and judgement then I'll gladly comply. Not my issue if a job overruns or a shed gets the business as a result of that. I'll probably have a giggle as it happens.

1 minute ago, Joe Newton said:

I actually agree with Alex on this one. Most people who use me do so because I know my job and do it well. If someone wants to tell me how to do it against my experience and judgement then I'll gladly comply. Not my issue if a job overruns or a shed gets the business as a result of that. I'll probably have a giggle as it happens.

Why, If someone is paying you to do the job why get involved?Give me the job card, parts, and an extra pair of hands and it will be sorted. Each to their own, I guess.