Two stroke oils / Stihl Ultra / Stihl Motomix

Muddy42

I  now just  buy on the oils jaso rating and stuff that   is fully synth.

Dunno if thats a reliable idea  but it makes sense to me.

Are the brand name price premuims ,  important for oils I don't think so?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for EXOL HIGHEST QUALITY JASO FD FULLY SYNTHETIC...

This the the stuff im using atm.....

Esso supreme unleaded 97 is ethanol free in some UK regions, you can find out where it's available here

WWW.ESSOFUELFINDER.CO.UK

Use the Exxon and Mobil Fuel Finder to find a gas station near you. View station maps, addresses, hours, amenities, and driving...

Edit. Copied from a statement by Esso...

Please be kindly informed that, Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland) and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+ in other areas of the UK."

Edited by Doug Tait
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

saw this on the esso website today (29th June 2023) 

From September 2023 our Synergy Supreme+ 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located. The labelling at our pumps will remain as E5 for Synergy Supreme+ 99 unleaded.

56 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

saw this on the esso website today (29th June 2023) 

From September 2023 our Synergy Supreme+ 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located. The labelling at our pumps will remain as E5 for Synergy Supreme+ 99 unleaded.

FFS.

Well, it was good while it lasted.

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

I saw a vid on YouTube doing exactly this. 

I think I might give it a try. Asked a mate with some kind of science PhD who said a bunch of stuff about the importance of molar masses which went over my head, but the gist seems to be:

- Mix fuel and water in separate container

- Add slightly more water than the expected ethanol content (say, 110ml water for 1L of E10 fuel)

- Put mixture in to a separatory funnel and let it sit
- Drain the water and ethanol out of the bottom once it's all stabilised

Google suggests there seems to be a bit of confusion or misinformation about how much water to add. Guides that say to add 1 cup of water to 1 gallon of fuel would only be good up to about 6% ethanol content. So adding extra water is the way to go, I'm told.

9 hours ago, tenner said:

So adding extra water is the way to go, I'm told.

I don't think so, this will just dilute the alcohol and create more waste.

You are just trying to change the phase of ethanol from solution in petrol to solution with water, ethanol is miscible in all proportions with water.

2% should do it but it would be an interesting experiment to measure.

What will you do with the ethanol-water solution?

There are plenty of videos of this on youtube.  You shake up the water vigorously with the fuel and let it separate. Putting a die in the water might help, as long as it doesn't mix with the fuel, a water based die maybe? I guess you'd need to develop a system and think about the right vessel with enough volume to give you a useable amount of pure fuel, see through sides and a drain on the bottom.