Sycamore tree overgrown?

jazzman

Question

I have a "monster" tree in my front garden which I believe is a Sycamore/Acer type tree?  The mess this tree is making is incredible and some of my neighbours are complaining about the mess the tree is making on the street.

The problem is the property is owned by a  local housing association. I have tried several times to see if the tree can be removed or even cut back, unfortunately the housing association is refusing to do either, probably due to the cost of subcontracting the work out.

My question is it reasonable to request for this tree to be cut back? and if so does this type of work have to be carried out on a regular basis i.e. how many years?

Thanks

tree.JPG

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

OP - why don’t you ask your landlord if they would let you pay a contractor to remove the tree entirely, at your own expense? 

Tried that option and offered to plant a more suitable small native type tree. Unfortunately they said no, no reason given.

• Like 1

If only Lidl had some sort of machine this week that could brush away the leaves by some sort of magic.....if not brush them away, perhaps blow them into the neighbours - that I don't like - garden (would I ever...).

Might not get a sensible answer from me when I can't see a blade of grass in the gardens, or anywhere for wild life to make a reason to visit, the only pew for birds are those 2 trees in the video

Pruning or pollarding will need to be repeated else the tree will regrow more, once started the landlord will have to account for that in their maintenance plans. 

Catching up on this, did the HA plant the tree or was it as some ones garden at one time? Is it a part of the property or a 'garden plant' perhaps you could find that out - it might be a garden plant to do what you like with (legally), much the same as a rose bush or if you wanted a lawn - tenant looks after it?

Don't it always seem to go, That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone....

• Like 1

it's only a diddy one i had a Sycamore 10x bigger than that in my garden.it was not only the leaves this time of year, but there was also the seed case coverings in the spring that stick to your shoes and walked into the house and the seeds sprouting all over the garden and the starlings shitting on the washing after eating elderberry's. i was overjoyed when i got permission to cut it down.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven P said:

If only Lidl had some sort of machine this week that could brush away the leaves by some sort of magic.....if not brush them away, perhaps blow them into the neighbours - that I don't like - garden (would I ever...).

Might not get a sensible answer from me when I can't see a blade of grass in the gardens, or anywhere for wild life to make a reason to visit, the only pew for birds are those 2 trees in the video

Pruning or pollarding will need to be repeated else the tree will regrow more, once started the landlord will have to account for that in their maintenance plans. 

Catching up on this, did the HA plant the tree or was it as some ones garden at one time? Is it a part of the property or a 'garden plant' perhaps you could find that out - it might be a garden plant to do what you like with (legally), much the same as a rose bush or if you wanted a lawn - tenant looks after it?

Don't it always seem to go, That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone....

There's plenty of trees in the street and a woods a few yards away, so the wildlife cannot complain. All the other trees in the other properties are sensible small sized trees.

I believe the H.A planted the trees when the houses were first built and there was possibly a mix up with the type of Acer used on my property?

How often do trees have to be pruned or pollard to keep them in order? annually, biannually or longer?

On 11/11/2023 at 01:05, jazzman said:

How often do trees have to be pruned or pollard to keep them in order? annually, biannually or longer?

As infrequently as possible - which is not what you want to hear. 

Good chance it just self seeded rather than was planted. 

The landlord has ZERO requirement to do anything to the tree on your behalf other than safety recommendations. 

Legally the HA should have inspection records for the tree (they probably won't) so if they wont allow anything else, ask that a tree survey be done. All that will likely be recommended (based on my view from my arm chair) is a crown lift over the pavement to 3m and deadwood removed if present. 

Again, check your tenancy agreement 

On 14/11/2023 at 11:53, Clutchy said:

The landlord has ZERO requirement to do anything to the tree on your behalf other than safety recommendations. 

It is a safety issue. I have slipped on the pathway and also a delivery driver slipped a few weeks ago.

On 14/11/2023 at 11:53, Clutchy said: