Large Monkey Puzzle

Scott J Farmborough

I'm in the process of quoting for this tree to be felled, it's a regular client of ours so wanting to give a sensible quote, just wondering if anyone is interested in the stem?

Access will be across the lawn area and is reasonably tight turning into the site from a small access road, so unfortunately no big lorries!

Location is East Sussex.

Let me know your thoughts.

20230429_090046.jpg

20230429_085140.jpg

20230429_085153.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Might be best to ring it up and sell the rings to wood turners.  Milling such a stem is a nightmare, especially if the tree has been dead a few years.  Those knots will be as hard as iron.  

Just as i thought...and yes its been in decline for a few years so will be as hard as nails!

My experience of selling to turners is that 9-14" diameter rings sell OK though MP seems to have fallen out of fashion.  With those sizes it may be worth cutting at every other knot ring - just above or below a ring - so that the lumps have two eye rings:  that way the piece can be turned into a vase or cut down again by the buyer

No-one's making a fortune from selling but it may be worth contacting 

WWW.STILESANDBATES.CO.UK

to see if they'd be interested; they're near Dover

Edited by nepia

Hi I still have some boards left from the last one we had for some reason it just doesnt sell I like it ,Its stable looks ace with the eyes but its bloody heavy sticky and f####ng sharp ,we winched the logs up onto a flat trailer I made a real nice cupboard for our Sparky out of some of it ,I would be up for say 2 big logs of it but would not want to pay more than a few beers for it ,the last one we had almost the same size was given for free ,my mobile is 07449736569 if you want to ring me and have a chat ,do you have a hi ab or similar to load with