Do you use your petrol tools in the rain?

greenant88

12 hours ago, pleasant said:

.....just dont blame the mower for not filling the grassbag right up and clogging and throwing uncollected grass out the side of the deck when you cut in anything other than dry grass and weather.

If cut grass sticks to your boots when you walk on the lawn then it will stick to the surfaces of the mower when cutting. The votrex effect of a blade to lift the grass prior to cutting it also compromised due to grass being wet and heavy. Had many people complain about their machines not being efficient collectors, then when you actually get to the root of the problem they've either used it whilst raining or after several days of rain and the grass is still wet through.in effect all the mower has become is a petrol driven kenwood juicer.

Sounds like green arm syndrome coming up.

• Like 1

Also pour any remaining fuel out at the end of the day.  I don't know whether its rain water or ethanol in fuel, but I often find a dirty milky watery substance at the bottom of the fuel tank.  It settles to the bottom so you can pour off and re-use the good fuel. Clean the tank out with a bit of pure petrol if its really bad.

Guest Gimlet
On 28/03/2023 at 06:10, Stubby said:

If your not wet your not working ! 🙂

Can't stand hedging when I'm wet. Mainly because my gloves get saturated and very slippery and I can't hold on to my tools. I've had hooks and axes fly out of my hand. Also, I've yet to find any waterproof clothing that will breath sufficiently so I'm not wet through with sweat, or any that are thorn-proof. Don't mind setting binders in the wet and no problem using petrol-powered tools in the rain. I'd avoid mowing grass when it's wet though. 

Edited by Gimlet

2 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I've had hooks and axes fly out of my hand.

My first forestry job was piecework weeding new plantations, using a fagging hook with round handle and a slightly enlarged bulb at the end. In the wet I was forever letting it slip so one day I fixed a leather loop to it with a bottle knot and slipped that on my wrist. The first problem was swapping hands to give my right arm a short rest. The next was that the first time it slipped out of my glove  it rotated round my wrist and hit me on the shoulder so I gave up on that idea.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...