What to do with 200+ MASSIVE stumps?

7 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’m not sure about the confusion and hostility over this request - the op has stated it was a FC stipulated clearfell (I suspect Phytopthera due to the presence of Larch - oak is also a host species).
Lapsed pollard stumps with the harvestable timber removed could easily still be 6ft plus tall, particularly when growing on a slope. These stumps would still potentially be hosting phytopthera and it makes sense for the FC to insist on their removal and destruction to cleanse the site for replanting (even though the whole enterprise is a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, but that’s not the op’s fault)…

None of those things where mentioned or stated , no location , no real user name and again in my opinion if the forestry commission had recommended the removal of 300+ year old coppice and ancient pollards they need prosecuting… as you have stated the horse as already bolted and I seriously doubt that was the case any way and no where had the OP stated it , something just does not add up… if a contractor can’t fell a tree in the pic to near ground level they need sacking.. also his quip on that’s not what he requested an answer too didn’t help with any hostility from my view…. I’m not a mind reader and if you want to go destroying any ancient trees for good a bit of back ground would be nice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’m not sure about the confusion and hostility over this request - the op has stated it was a FC stipulated clearfell (I suspect Phytopthera due to the presence of Larch - oak is also a host species).
Lapsed pollard stumps with the harvestable timber removed could easily still be 6ft plus tall, particularly when growing on a slope. These stumps would still potentially be hosting phytopthera and it makes sense for the FC to insist on their removal and destruction to cleanse the site for replanting (even though the whole enterprise is a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, but that’s not the op’s fault)…

All well and good, but apparently they couldn't find a big enough bar to fell the trees at ground level.... I'm sticking with dodgy/cowboy.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 23:49, monkeybusiness said:

Ace. Someone's awake. 👍

19 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Seems like that may have to remain one of civilisation’s great unanswered questions  .  .  .  

In a few years time David Attenborough will do a documentary about it . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...