Best way of clearing a new build site of stumps

Dilz

38 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Why dig the small ones? They grind really quick with a decent tracked grinder.

Because they will come out clean with the 12" bucket in about 20 minutes and we are needing to clear the ground afterwards anyway - I can burn them in an incinerator or tip, and will have no shortage of material to make up the ground when we dig the founds for our workshop.

I accept that the medium and larger ones will be simpler to grind, but I will still have to remove and burn their roots to clear the ground once that has been done.

We have already taken a number of trailer-fulls of stumps down to the local tip - provided we get them out of the trailer ourselves they are heppy for us to put them with the garden waste.   There was one really large one which I had to tie to the container and then drive off so it was pulled off the back of the trailer before returning to reclaim the rope!

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.bd2137633fca01b521236781c4496e4e.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dilz said:

Had a client ring me up asking to clear the stumps on a new plot, they aren't planning on building thus year as still waiting planning approval for the design, no services put in. It's on an areas of cleared woodland - haven't measured it proper but max 1/4 acer - reckon there is about 120+ stumps. 30-60cm few boulders and stuff. First time really tackling such project, My initial response was to say wait until you plan to start the build get the digger to rip everything up but they want to put a static on the site for the summer and not trip over stumps.  Have access to big stump grinders and that's probably what i'm going to go with but wondering if people think it's better to go with the big digger and get the site cleared of everything in one hit?  It's much bigger project with the digger but would potentially save the client paying twice.  Any thoughts much appreciated. 

Don’t underestimate how piecemeal the workflow in building is. You’re thinking in a joined up way, trying to save them time and money. Correct but not necessarily their language. I’d want to do it the joined up way with the big digger (and a tub grinder) but that’s in part because I don’t have to convince your client. 
Ring someone like Kingwell. They may have some advice on how this sort of thing commonly goes. Plus they have the kit for whichever way you end up going. 

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dilz said:

Had a client ring me up asking to clear the stumps on a new plot, they aren't planning on building thus year as still waiting planning approval for the design, no services put in. It's on an areas of cleared woodland - haven't measured it proper but max 1/4 acer - reckon there is about 120+ stumps. 30-60cm few boulders and stuff. First time really tackling such project, My initial response was to say wait until you plan to start the build get the digger to rip everything up but they want to put a static on the site for the summer and not trip over stumps.  Have access to big stump grinders and that's probably what i'm going to go with but wondering if people think it's better to go with the big digger and get the site cleared of everything in one hit?  It's much bigger project with the digger but would potentially save the client paying twice.  Any thoughts much appreciated. 

Getting a lot more of this total stump clearance these days, a lot of these developers don't just want them ground, they want the stump and all the laterals removed.One of the developers we do a lot for cited costings for dealing with the laterals and it was substantial, left in laterals affect all the outside trades on a site. Its a job for a big excavator and a power rake.

Bob

One of these on a thirteen tonner.

• image.jpg2_zpsj8ylhzya
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, AHPP said:

Don’t underestimate how piecemeal the workflow in building is. You’re thinking in a joined up way, trying to save them time and money. Correct but not necessarily their language. I’d want to do it the joined up way with the big digger (and a tub grinder) but that’s in part because I don’t have to convince your client. 
Ring someone like Kingwell. They may have some advice on how this sort of thing commonly goes. Plus they have the kit for whichever way you end up going. 

Dilz is on the continent mate, probably a bit far for Justin and his kit.

You and Bob are right though, probably cheapest long term to just blast the site properly in one hit.

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Dilz is on the continent mate, probably a bit far for Justin and his kit.

You and Bob are right though, probably cheapest long term to just blast the site properly in one hit.

Fair enough. The advice might travel though. Impress Johnny Foreigner with how the English do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well - after todays meeting, the client has said they have no plans to start  a build for a couple of years at least -  haven't even spoken to an architect  and haven't even begun to think about utilities.. they are after a touch of that good old instant gratification - want to stick a static on the site and have it as a bit of summer place, get a feel for the place before they get plans drawn up and seek the planning permission which can be a lengthy process in this area.  They spoke to some one who bought a neighbouring plot who mentioned about getting stung for the recycling fees for the removal of the stumps so they are happy to go with a quote for grinding. 

Digging them up would be the quickest in conjunction with ground works but some recycling centers class roots as contaminated waste, a couple years ago one was charging 5000kr a ton (regular green waste 300kr ton) for commercial.

grindings the digger will loose in the soil when they get round to ground works, just the odd fat root that’ll maybe need to be gotten rid of. (If not too many then may be worth the client taking a few trailer loads to the tip and tip for free as a private person 

plus grinding you’ll earn money :D 

• Like 1

I did quite a few site clearances  where the 13 tonne 360 had windrowed all the stumps and brash, a few passes with the Awhi turned it all to mulch and the excavator rolled it all into a bund which was to be used for landscaping. Trouble is  never got to see the final result.

On 08/03/2023 at 21:39, waterbuoy said:

Because they will come out clean with the 12" bucket in about 20 minutes and we are needing to clear the ground afterwards anyway - I can burn them in an incinerator or tip, and will have no shortage of material to make up the ground when we dig the founds for our workshop.

I accept that the medium and larger ones will be simpler to grind, but I will still have to remove and burn their roots to clear the ground once that has been done.

We have already taken a number of trailer-fulls of stumps down to the local tip - provided we get them out of the trailer ourselves they are heppy for us to put them with the garden waste.   There was one really large one which I had to tie to the container and then drive off so it was pulled off the back of the trailer before returning to reclaim the rope!

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.bd2137633fca01b521236781c4496e4e.JPG

top tip

maybe in future tips, run the rope in a loop round the whole load and tie both ends to the container and drive forward? if you get me? pull the whole lot in one go. get a larger one at the front to pull all the rest as you drive.