How to proceed with old apple trees?

Christobel

Question

I asked a tree surgeon to prune these old apple trees last winter, and a lot was taken off (much more than I expected). This is how they look now. I’m not sure what to do now in order to restore their shape? Really appreciate any advice. I am a complete novice, but love these old trees. 

555F5C7C-C61F-4FB4-BD8A-944E32C4E12B.jpeg

4420AC82-7DF2-414D-BC81-11709D3620E8.jpeg

7B6A73C5-4367-4F96-B12B-A421CDF99FF8.jpeg

5E4D09DA-D6B6-4814-B3FF-D52220047A10.jpeg

7D6F0AD1-8A2D-462D-BA3A-7D9AA11B7A8A.jpeg

Tree surgeons rarely know how to prune apple trees but they do look better than usual. 

I would remove about two thirds of those new shoots keeping the healthiest looking ones that radiate away from the trunk. 

Upright shoots will tend to continue to grow strongly upwards with little fruit. 

Ideally you would keep any at 45 degrees as they will fruit best without being too droopy. 

Generally they will crop on two year old growth and older so not such a big crop this year but will improve the following year. Aim to do the same next year so you continuously replace the branches over 5 years or so. 

As they have already been pruned hard they are very stimulated to vegetative growth I wouldn't be reducing any to 3 or 4 buds. They will just grow again like mad next year. 

General rule is if you are going to cut a branch off cut it right off, reducing them just ends up like a pollarded lime with no fruit. 

• Like 4

Yes I've learned we ought only to be taking off 25% of growth per year so when they're old and overgrown, they need a steady prune over 3 years! Requires some patience when pruning and I've certainly took more off than 25% for clients in the past so easier said than done and best achieved on your own trees or repeat work by a trusted contractor.

Those upright shoots are water shoots and rubbish for fruiting but as said above keep the lateral shoots and the following year they should have a decent crop back on them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AJStrees said:

They look better than mine. Very tidy job. Not sure what they were like before but they have a good open centre and will produce good fruit if continued to be looked after. 👍

They were well looked after trees for years then let to go, and someone went in to them to hard. I know were they are but I didn't cut them, when I first saw them thought next set was digger in and out with roots. 

• Like 1

Is the above which looks kind of drastic to me  - spur pruning as  used in  modern commercial orchards ?

image.png.2f00f22b2b5884dc14faa9663a3fb362.png

I try to  do the first one "regulated" as  I like trees looking more natural.

PUBLICATIONS.NATURALENGLAND.ORG.UK

This information note provides guidance on the reasons for the routine pruning of fruit trees and advice on the different...

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

You'll be taking off many of those new bits of vertical growth, which can be stuck onto rootstocks relatively easily to create new trees. All you need is a sharp knife and a little patience. 

If you enjoy the fruit this tree produces, it might be a good idea to get a few replacement trees waiting in the wings in case anything catastrophic should happen to this one, and baby apple trees from your own tree make great Christmas or birthday presents to the right kind of person. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

They were well looked after trees for years then let to go, and someone went in to them to hard. I know were they are but I didn't cut them, when I first saw them thought next set was digger in and out with roots. 

I was definitely surprised by how much was taken off, but he said they were so much of a mess they needed to be taken back a lot. I really want to preserve them as they are old trees. But shape looks odd now with all those thin shoots. 

• Like 1