Career Change

Fel

I changed careers about 10yrs ago and very happy I did, I was about 43, I had rock climbed a lot and was reasonably fit and enjoyed diy/hands on work and had a chainsaw already for firewood. As others have said trying a few days helping out a local company is a good idea. I got my basic chainsaw and aerial rescue/chainsaw tickets then got a job locally. Probably could have got a job with just the chainsaw ticket, and then got to see the job from the ground more. Basic chainsaw ticket is about £1K+/- and I really enjoyed doing it, you'd be unlikely to regret having it even if you didn't pursue arb as a career.

It is likely to be a tough time in arb with the probable recession, however they say in the ads There's never a perfect time, just the Right time! Only you will know that.

All the best,

J.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fel said:

Hello Everyone,

Asking for some honest feedback/advice.

I’m fast approaching my 45th birthday and after spending most of my life behind a desk and slowly losing the will to live, I’m seriously considering changing careers and working as an arborist. I’ve had a good look around for training (based in the South East) and there’s some good options available for comprehensive training to get me qualified as a climber.

Before I make the jump and invest in the training, I really would like some help in understanding if it’s going to be a viable move for me. Realistically, what would someone in my position be earning annually coming into this industry (as a potential employee of a company/business)?

Also, what are your views of your career and day to day. I’d especially like to hear from anyone that’s been in a similar position to me.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If you don’t mind me asking what type of job do you do behind a desk if it’s good money why change? I Love my job but I no when I come to the end of it ready to retire I no my body ain’t going to be much good and I will suffer with a lot of aches and pains later on in life do now . And at the end of the day it’s all to do with money that’s what work’s about making money but there is easy ways and hard ways to make a living. Arb work is interesting and very physical and you can make a living but in my opinion you make more working for your self. But if you are making a good living doing what your doing now and your not killing your self I’d stick to that that my honest opinion but it’s what makes you happy mate 👍 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Guardian Forestry said:

Speaking from experience, the value my career now gives me, far outweighs what I had when I was earning three times as much but I would not go back to my old life. 

Couldn't agree more; but then not everybody will be in the position take such a financial hit, may have financial commitments they’ll  cannot walk away from such as dependents etc. 

I agree with others here, you definitely need to try first, have a bit of a climb before investing in your tickets. And see if you can do a few days for a company.

A lot of the social media side of arb shows climbers knocking out big tops and swinging around a big open oaks etc, all the nice stuff when in reality a lot of it will/could be trimming rows of conifers, not being able to see out of an ivy covered tree in the pissing rain, dragging branches up wet muddy slopes and down narrow access ways....I love the graft, but on some days I'd definitely want to be in your office job. Good Luck though, you definitely need to follow your heart 👍

• Like 5

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

To answer some of your questions…

I work in Compliance (legal/regulatory). I’ve been doing this kind of work for the last 20 years or so. It pays okay, but I don’t particularly enjoy it. I don’t want to work another 20 years, retire and look back knowing that I wasted half my life doing something I did not enjoy and which made me miserable. I’m at that age where I have the usual responsibilities… I’m married, have a mortgage, bills to pay and dependents. But… the realisation for me is, money isn’t the be all and end all, as long as I can cover what I need to.

I spend most of leisure time outdoors and enjoy being outside. I’m physically fit and not afraid of hard work. I have minimal climbing experience though.

I have messaged a few local companies to see if I could shadow them for a few days (work experience) to see how it goes. I’ll most likely do my qualifications around my current work. The idea or plan was to get as much experience as I can for a year or so with a view to eventually going self-employed.

• Like 5

I couldn't agree more with the previous posts and would like to add:

It's so damn satisfying do something in the real world and to finally be free.

Don't do it for money. Do it for your soul. 

It's possible to have a killer income but more likely you'll just survive on a solid base. 

I don't regret my choice over 10 year ago.

No way I ever want to push mice again across the board all day. 

Edited by marne
spelling
  • Like 1

Not wanting to ask but finances are for the OP to work out - might be that the desk job that pays OK has afforded a decent savings account, perhaps a partner earns enough to pay the bills but they'd loose the little extras for a while, at 45 the dependents might be off in a year or 2, and 25 year mortgage paid off in a couple too, or it could all balance on his wallet alone for the next 20 years. Not my call. but that's the same with any career change, you start at the wages of a 17 year old, and you have to do the sums to work out how long and if it is affordable - the warnings about that are above.

I have said for years that working is a balance, and got to get that right, I could have studied hard, worked 18 hour days and become one of those bankers the press love on a million pound bonus - but no quality of life (always working), I could have sat back and let the state pay, do what I want all day long but no cash, and somewhere in the middle is where I am now - got a house, a car (I'm doing alright...), family, garden  - balanced the work and stress against the money and life.

Reckon OP wants a change to the outdoors, trees sound fun, just wondering for him, if climbing might be off -what alternatives>? Gardening, countryside ranger, something along that line of things, slightly less physical?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Not wanting to ask but finances are for the OP to work out - might be that the desk job that pays OK has afforded a decent savings account, perhaps a partner earns enough to pay the bills but they'd loose the little extras for a while, at 45 the dependents might be off in a year or 2, and 25 year mortgage paid off in a couple too, or it could all balance on his wallet alone for the next 20 years. Not my call. but that's the same with any career change, you start at the wages of a 17 year old, and you have to do the sums to work out how long and if it is affordable - the warnings about that are above.

I have said for years that working is a balance, and got to get that right, I could have studied hard, worked 18 hour days and become one of those bankers the press love on a million pound bonus - but no quality of life (always working), I could have sat back and let the state pay, do what I want all day long but no cash, and somewhere in the middle is where I am now - got a house, a car (I'm doing alright...), family, garden  - balanced the work and stress against the money and life.

Reckon OP wants a change to the outdoors, trees sound fun, just wondering for him, if climbing might be off -what alternatives>? Gardening, countryside ranger, something along that line of things, slightly less physical?

Royal Marines?

One Guy passed at 50 and even a bird has too.

• Like 1