Work and employment advice please

John Hathaway

All fair points, at 3 months if you're getting a reasonable amount of climbing then it's a good opportunity, all climbing is good practice. We had a lady on the forum a while ago on the IoW who never really got off the blocks as didn't find that first rung.

Hard to say how long to stick it, maybe get a Suzuki Ignis to save money on fuel?

13 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

What are you on?

How rude 😁

Some good posts in this thread and I don't really have much to add except emphasizing what Mick said. How much your travelling expenses are isn't really their problem, they are running a business afterall.

£120 per day doesn't sound that bad for someone with 3 months experience to be honest, I certainly know of plenty other trainees (thats what you are despite having all the tickets) getting less.

At this point the bottom line should be how you feel you are progressing in the company on a technical level rather than financial. If you are cut out for work it won't be long till you are out freelancing on your own earning £200 a day, or even running your own gig and sending your own teams out.

Don't forget, the company you are working for know this. If they have been in business for any amount of time then they will have had numerous employees who they trained up who ultimately left them to earn more elsewhere.

16 hours ago, John Hathaway said:

commuting from job to job in my truck for the company is costing me £20-30 a day

Don't forget you can claim mileage back in this scenario IE using your personal vehicle for business travel (you're not going to a yard every day but instead travelling to various locations)

Edited by Puffingbilly413

I don't know the rates down south, but I wouldn't be paying you any more than that with 3 mnths experience. You will be slow and cautious (hopefully - which is what you need to do until you have years of experience). After a year you should be OK speed wise, after 5yrs+ fully up to speed. Have you asked what you need to do to earn more?

You are getting paid reasonably to learn your trade (that is worth a lot), with experience other better paid options will become available or they will pay you more to keep you.

Hope you are enjoying it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mack said:

How rude 😁

Some good posts in this thread and I don't really have much to add except emphasizing what Mick said. How much your travelling expenses are isn't really their problem, they are running a business afterall.

£120 per day doesn't sound that bad for someone with 3 months experience to be honest, I certainly know of plenty other trainees (thats what you are despite having all the tickets) getting less.

At this point the bottom line should be how you feel you are progressing in the company on a technical level rather than financial. If you are cut out for work it won't be long till you are out freelancing on your own earning £200 a day, or even running your own gig and sending your own teams out.

Don't forget, the company you are working for know this. If they have been in business for any amount of time then they will have had numerous employees who they trained up who ultimately left them to earn more elsewhere.

Thanks god info will definitely take it on board!

2 hours ago, jfc said:

I don't know the rates down south, but I wouldn't be paying you any more than that with 3 mnths experience. You will be slow and cautious (hopefully - which is what you need to do until you have years of experience). After a year you should be OK speed wise, after 5yrs+ fully up to speed. Have you asked what you need to do to earn more?

You are getting paid reasonably to learn your trade (that is worth a lot), with experience other better paid options will become available or they will pay you more to keep you.

Hope you are enjoying it.

Thanks, yeah definitely enjoying it!