Battery Chainsaw?

petercb

1 hour ago, Justme said:

The latter really takes the bat lift down mainly due to heat build up.

Aye, if I'm cutting and splitting fire wood I tend to cut a bit then split a bit as I've found that if I go in just cutting till the battery is done then it will overheat and not charge until it's cooled down and as you say when the battery gets hot it doesn't last as long.

Having said that, if I'm on a tidying up a type of garden job with sporadic use I'm often surprised just how long 1 battery can last.

I've heard folk talking about Ego tools and to satisfy my curiosity I found this review, cheers.

• Thanks 1

I bought Lidl’s parkside battery saw just to try out one before spending big bucks on a main brand battery saw. I have to confess I absolutely love it.

No smell of petrol in the back of the jeep.

Great job up a tree or beside the chipper.

Batteries can be used in other tools like an angle grinder or drill.

Quiet to use.

If it fcuks up it’s under warranty for I think 3 years. By then it will have paid for itself in petrol savings alone vs charging batteries at night rate. 

Ok if I was using a chainsaw all day petrol is the way to go, I am not an arborist so those days would be 10 or less a year, but if I’m cutting 12 foot by 6 inches thick ash logs for fire wood beside the house the battery saw is what I use.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback, just going to hold fire for a while and see what develops with new products. Certainly not encouraging that battery availability is so rubbish.

Fortunately the 450e is easy to start plus trying to remember to start it left handed as it where.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2022 at 18:48, petercb said:

550xp is a better option unless your shoulder is giving you grief! That's why I'm considering a battery saw, productivity/running costs don't come into it for me. I agree £600 for a 550xp against nearly a grand for a lesser performing and probably battery saw wouldn't normally make a lot of sense.

If its if any interest, I did some tests on battery charge costs last year by plugging chargers into an energy monitor .

Parkside 18v 4Ah...80watts

, Makita 18v.   5Ah....100watts

Waitley 18v.     8Ah....150watts

So if we take makita 5Ah. it only costs 1/10th if the kWh unit rate which is around 4 pence.

I have I have just ordered a Msa200 with Ap300 battery so when that arrives will update my post

• Like 1

Sorry guys just getting to grips with technology :) I volunteer with a charity and have just purchased a Sthil  220C saw with a 300s battery but even just  processing timber the battery from fully charged only lasts about 20min. There was no info with saw that batteries should be fully charged and drained etc before use so are we doing something wrong or is this about right? We daren't attempt a tree felling even under 300mm :(

Appreciate any advice/comments

8 hours ago, slim reaper said:

If its if any interest, I did some tests on battery charge costs last year by plugging chargers into an energy monitor .

Parkside 18v 4Ah...80watts

, Makita 18v.   5Ah....100watts

Waitley 18v.     8Ah....150watts

So if we take makita 5Ah. it only costs 1/10th if the kWh unit rate which is around 4 pence.

I have I have just ordered a Msa200 with Ap300 battery so when that arrives will update my post

I assume when you say watts you're meaning watt hours?

It doesn't matter what brand it is, they will all cost much and such the same to charge, for the power that they deliver.

If you look on the bottom of an 18v 5ah battery it will usually be stamped 90wh. 18 x 5 = 90

Add on a few watts for the charger itself, and there's your 100 watt hours (0.1kwh) to recharge.

So a husky bli300 battery which is 36v 9.4ah, is 36 x 9.4 = 338wh

• Like 1