Am I allowed to Teach one of my boys to climb before putting them on cs38 and 39 ?

Charlie1988

I would feel happy teaching someone to climb, as long as I supervised 100 percent of the time, better still was alongside them in the tree. I would be very vary of teaching them to use a saw when climbing, if they did not have CS38. I imagine that in the event of an injury from the saw in the tree it might be an uncomfortable position to find yourself in.

20 minutes ago, Charlie1988 said:

One of my lads has done his cs30 -31 and he’s looking to climb but I don’t want to spend the money on the courses until I can see he wants to do it 

Is someone allowed to climb using a saw if he is supervised at all times ?

thanks 

Give him a pruning saw and take him up the tree with you and I'd say you're good to go mate. If you're sending him up with a saw on his own in the tree, I'd argue that he should be on a climbing course already

• Like 2

not sure if it makes a difference if you are doing it as practice in your own garden or on a paying job?

I remember the first tree I climbed I had barely even used a chainsaw. Didn't know any knots. Strapped on a pair of spikes and was shown where the clippy things clipped to on the harness. Times have certainly changed a lot 

Does he pester you every day to get a shot of climbing?  Does he already use the climbing kit for setting up pool lines, pruning small trees with a silky and keen as mustard?

If not yes to all of the above don’t waste your time with him.  
edit, if yes to them all, stick him on the arial rescue course and go from there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

not sure if it makes a difference if you are doing it as practice in your own garden or on a paying job?

I remember the first tree I climbed I had barely even used a chainsaw. Didn't know any knots. Strapped on a pair of spikes and was shown where the clippy things clipped to on the harness. Times have certainly changed a lot 

Ditto, don't know much more now.....

That’s how I started my old man taught me to climb and do the job before I even went and did my climbing courses. I think it’s a good thing because I think some people once they have tried it might think it’s to much like hard work and say it’s not for them. And then they have wasted there money 💴 I think a lot of people see what we do and think I can do that watching someone who has done it for years and makes it look easy but don’t really realise how strenuous the job is. It’s not for everyone. 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Does he pester you every day to get a shot of climbing?  Does he already use the climbing kit for setting up pool lines, pruning small trees with a silky and keen as mustard?

If not yes to all of the above don’t waste your time with him.  
edit, if yes to them all, stick him on the arial rescue course and go from there.

Bang on (except for the spelling of aerial, but you knew that and tried to lure me in with it)

Most young/learning climbers should have the harness on and buckling up the spikes before you’ve even finished the sentence ‘you could run up, strip and top that pine if you like….’

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Bang on (except for the spelling of aerial, but you knew that and tried to lure me in with it)

Most young/learning climbers should have the harness on and buckling up the spikes before you’ve even finished the sentence ‘you could run up, strip and top that pine if you like….’

Like having their first jump keen as mustard.