Is our current society coming to an end?

Woodworks

13 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Without resorting to the ideas of commies like Pigot and George, how does society fix this, given how bloody thick most people are?

I simply don't know, we got hooked on capitalism as it is the economic system that depends on expanding markets and exploiting all the available economic resources. It out competed all previous economic systems and has concentrated far more wealth  on a small number of people that even the most despotic medieval despot couldn't even dream of.

The principal of the polluter should pay would work except most of the super rich have such a different philosophy of life and have big dreams that cannot be contained on one planet. It didn't matter a hundred years ago that an open system was unsustainable as the world was big and the population 2 billion, now we have immensely more ability to exploit and pollute and there is no total consensus  that we should abate the problem. Even if there were then there would be plenty enough people to conspire against a solution in just the same way there are always fraudsters, litter louts, thieves, war mongers and rabid right wingers to disrupt society now.

on that note  merry Xmas to you all

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Woooah, forced sterilisation is a completely different scenario. I did say sell bottled water to those that are rich enough.

In terms of the consumerism, guessing you're meaning the pointless toys that just get worse every year ?.

Tech wise I think we are almost at peak plateau, you can't get any faster.

I think certain things like appliances are already there, washing machines and fridges are a good example as they're made mostly in one factory with just different controllers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarethM said:

Birth control in the tap water wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Whilst I won't dip into your thoughts on birth control, I will say that since when some years ago I did look into what's actually put into Scottish water I no longer drink or cook with it. 

I don't believe that any of the Halogens are compatible with living tissue, human or otherwise, and fecking with what comes out your convenient household tap is very easy and effective.

This group of elements are known to effect the intellect, emotions and much much more....   yet most of the modern world gulps in their daily trace dose of them with any tap water that's consumed without the slightest notion that they might be being medicated.

I think I noticed that you said before that you were up for much more plain speaking on any subject, so..........

Already there I'm afraid, hormones are measurable in waste water and can't be removed so get flushed out to sea.

Which I assume also means digestate spread as a fertilizer also contains it along with micro plastics.

Sperm counts have fallen by something like 50% already, so it might already be happening.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Sperm counts have fallen by something like 50% already, so it might already be happening.

From what I can gather, it's the microplastics that carry the lion's share of the blame for that.

Who needs condoms when you've got an AstroTurf lawn...