Splitting Logs - Bad Wrists - Fiskars X25

Witterings

I haven't split logs for a while as I had bad wrists that took ages (months) to get fully better and did about 1/2 hr last night and my wrists are absolutely killing me today.

I've recently been using a Fiskars X25, before I bought this just used to use a standard wooden handle axe and can't remember having a problem but I'm also getting older.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this since using a Fiskars, I'm wondering if maybe the type of handle gives off some sort of vibration.

I'm not here looking to bash a product but simply asking of anyone's experienced similar and whether it could be the cause, it may just be I'm getting more prone to arthritis although if it was that I don't think it would have completely got better.

10 minutes ago, Witterings said:

I haven't split logs for a while as I had bad wrists that took ages (months) to get fully better and did about 1/2 hr last night and my wrists are absolutely killing me today.

I've recently been using a Fiskars X25, before I bought this just used to use a standard wooden handle axe and can't remember having a problem but I'm also getting older.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this since using a Fiskars, I'm wondering if maybe the type of handle gives off some sort of vibration.

I'm not here looking to bash a product but simply asking of anyone's experienced similar and whether it could be the cause, it may just be I'm getting more prone to arthritis although if it was that I don't think it would have completely got better.

Mabey the 25 is too short and the final angle on impact , relative to your body is what's causing it Try a 27 and make the block waist height .  

• Like 3

Give your wrists a few days to get better and if you still have it try your other axe - if the problem stays then it isn't the axe, and if it goes away, could be the axe, could be something else, so I'd use the Fiskars again and see if the pain returns - if not it is something else.

Never had a problem with mine.

Are both axes comparable, length and so on?

I skateboarded as a youngster which means tumbling occasionally on my wrists. They got strong. The average male wrist circumference is 7". Both mine are over 10". I still use a maul most days in my mid 50s to keep loose. Touch wood all joints are ok but I wear gel gloves for most things now because of the accumulated years of two-stroke vibes. Go with the advice so far. Use mechanical help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sutton said:

I skateboarded as a youngster which means tumbling occasionally on my wrists. They got strong. The average male wrist circumference is 7". Both mine are over 10". I still use a maul most days in my mid 50s to keep loose. Touch wood all joints are ok but I wear gel gloves for most things now because of the accumulated years of two-stroke vibes. Go with the advice so far. Use mechanical help.

I blame skateboarding and tree work for being an arthritic cripple at 45! Even using a basic hammer or paintbrush flairs up issues in my wrists … gone are the days where I would of thought nothing of splitting 50 tonne of rings a year for firewood thinking logs splitters are for pussies.