How Much Wood do you Burn in a Week of cold Weather?

Billhook

With 2 stoves both only 5kw nominal I can still keep the house warm in weather that is overcast and let's say daily maximums of 3-4C, and overnight lows of -3 to -5C. Doing so does mean both stoves running 12-15 hours a day which can burn through about a cube of wood.  Maybe slightly less if Oak but more of its softwood. 

Maybe a cube a week on this for two houses water and heating. 

about one tub a day on the esse for cooking. 
and maybe two barrows a day for the other three fires if they are lit… to be honest that’s rare and only on holidays in winter if there’s people in the house. 

81D76D49-46FF-4F6D-B286-D65C2B32F0AB.jpeg

4 hours ago, Big J said:

I think you misunderstand.

30 kwh is the total electricity usage for everything. That's 98% of our heating too. Our house is about 240 square metres.

Our house is about 240 square metres as well , and has modern insulation, icynene foam in the loft, which is water based and breathable, four lots of underfloor heating, two bathrooms , a conservatory and a kitchen.

The Aarrow Stratford is linked to the gas boiler with a Dunsley neutraliser, but we have not had the gas on at all.  Two hot water cylinders, one heated by solar tubes which does all our Summer hot water.

I am becoming progressively creaky so I need a hot bath every evening.

My wife has had an operation and is housebound while she recovers, hence the heating is on most of the time.  One benefit of the Lockdowns was giving me time to build the Lockdown Splitter and make a good heap of split Ash and Sycamore

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Our house is about 240 square metres as well , and has modern insulation, icynene foam in the loft, which is water based and breathable, four lots of underfloor heating, two bathrooms , a conservatory and a kitchen.

The Aarrow Stratford is linked to the gas boiler with a Dunsley neutraliser, but we have not had the gas on at all.  Two hot water cylinders, one heated by solar tubes which does all our Summer hot water.

I am becoming progressively creaky so I need a hot bath every evening.

My wife has had an operation and is housebound while she recovers, hence the heating is on most of the time.  One benefit of the Lockdowns was giving me time to build the Lockdown Splitter and make a good heap of split Ash and Sycamore

Nice. You've hit the nail on the head I think. The heat source is secondary in importance to the insulation. The UK has never had the incentive to insulate properly because of the relatively mild climate and ample supply of North Sea gas. Times change though.

Here, highly effective insulation is none-optional. Your typical Wimpy home wouldn't last a single winter here, and we're in the mild part of Sweden!

I wish your wife a speedy recovery :)

• Like 3