What saw…. Another boring thread

Actuallyjustafarmer

I suppose at the end of the day asking what saw to buy is like asking what motorbike to buy.. Some might like a japanese plastic toy, others might like some sort of BMW, or a russian URAL, or even a Harley. It is all down to personal taste and preference i suppose.

Mind you, i was looking at an Indian made 650 Royal Enfield the other day. I have to say the quality looked amazing.. It was a beautiful bike... Would love one of them.. Plenty of people might laugh, but there you are. Same with saws I suppose..

john..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, john87 said:

Mind you, i was looking at an Indian made 650 Royal Enfield the other day. I have to say the quality looked amazing.. It was a beautiful bike... Would love one of them..

For Christ’s sake don’t buy a cordura motorcycle suit….. far to much risk of misidentification!!

Edited by Bolt
Sartorial slip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back on topic, the newer 560xp is a Lot better than the 2011 model (my experience anyway). My 2011 had issues with heat and warm starting, eventually seized up and turned into a parts donor. 

The 2018 one I'm still running hasn't missed a beat.

Recently used a Stihl 400, nice saw to use, plenty of grunt. Much better than the ms362. I personally prefer the size of the 560, seems a bit less bulky to me when used off a harness. Splitting hairs though 

Echo 7310 is a solid saw, lots of torque and hasn't put a foot wrong, but probably a bit big for OPs requirements if he's looking for something in the 60cc range

• Like 2

Not sure how much use my input will be, there are many more knowledgeable folk than me on here. I now have a Stihl 400, and it's an absolute pleasure to use. It's lighter than the 038 it replaced ( quelle surprise ) and very manageable. Whether it's too close to your bigger 462, I don't know. I also have a 251, and it's a gutless pile of poo. I really wish I'd got a 261, which might be a better fit for you. I'd suggest picking up a 400 in a shop to feel, even with the 20" bar on mine, it doesn't seem unwieldy. With the 16", it's lovely. 

Edited by Peter 1955

As a stalwart Husqvarna man, I found it tricky to admit how good the Stihl 400 is. But, I'll openly admit it is fantastic. 

I have a Mk2 550XPG and run it on an 18inch bar with zero issues. It was bloody excellent stock, but I've since had it fettled by @Crockyand it's even better now. I also have an old 555 that is a great saw, if a little hefty. 

Local dealer support can often be a deal breaker. No good buying a saw if there is no dealer local. 

• Like 1