Rant about 'climate activists' and Insulate Britain

Rob D

For some reason these people that are sitting down in front of roads trigger major anger in me 🤨

I heard a load of them last year at a rally shouting 'No Oil No Gas Keep your Carbon in the Ground'. Which sounds good in principle - but the reality is we have built our society around fossil fuels and it's going to take some time coming off them. And have all these protestors given up on their cars and their central heating or are they expecting everyone else to do this? Prob they all drove to the protest in fossil fuel fed cars.

Everyday people trying to drop kids to school, or get to work and do everything else that needs doing to keep some form of economy going then go through unnecessary stress of getting held up by this lot who clearly have time on their hands.

By holding up traffic all those vehicles are using MORE fuel as they are stopped with engines running.

And it doesn't even seem clear as to what they are actually after - yes we all know fossil fuels are bad - so your solution is?

If you want to make a nuisance of yourselves why not pick some better targets - billionaires/private jets/super yachts - where at least you could point to some form of obvious excess rather than blocking a bus full of mums and pensioners on the high street.

Right - I feel better after that 😅

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

They are serial protesters, who probably show up to any kind of event at which they can cause a nuisance. They are not a lot different to the serially offended on this forum. 

A few probably have genuine concerns, but never have the brains to actually make a positive difference. Almost all of the protests have a detrimental impact on their 'cause'. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rob D said:

If you want to make a nuisance of yourselves why not pick some better targets - billionaires/private jets/super yachts - where at least you could point to some form of obvious excess rather than blocking a bus full of mums and pensioners on the high street.

Going against such things that would have their own private security in place would require having some guts. Blocking school mums and pensioners whilst a police force that effectively have their hands tied behind their backs is a much easier and safer target 

• Like 4

The issue here, is if we listened to all groups who complian about the environment, we simply wouldn't have any way of heating or producing electricity. No matter what options are available, there will always be protests.

No to nuclear- too expensive, too dangerous, cannot easily dispose of the waste products

No to coal and oil- coal- emissions and because they are fossil fuels

No to burning materials such as wood- again because of emissions

No to gas, because of fracking and supply

No to wind, because people don't want their view spoilt and the materials cannot be recycled efficiently

So we have to do something....because you simply cannot keep everybody happy. I just wish the government would be honest and tell people how it is, rather than thinking, being honest costs votes, when in reality I believe it would be the opposite.

• Like 5

I also believe they are ill informed, do they not realise that oil and gas is the base product in most everyday products from the plastic in their vegan coats, shoes, spec frames to the fuel used to smelt the metal to make their push bikes. Idiots.

Things I do agree with is the reduction in single use plastics for example charging for supermarket carrier bags and

little bags for things like bananas, lot less plastic bag tumble weeds in towns now.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roys said:

I also believe they are ill informed, do they not realise that oil and gas is the base product in most everyday products from the plastic in their vegan coats, shoes, spec frames to the fuel used to smelt the metal to make their push bikes. Idiots.

Things I do agree with is the reduction in single use plastics for example charging for supermarket carrier bags and

little bags for things like bananas, lot less plastic bag tumble weeds in towns now.  

Noticed recently that some companies are now using a brown paper sort of packing material in boxes rather than some sort of air filled plastic.

Has the added advantage of being a good firelighter!

But there still needs to be so much more of this sort of thing done and if the squeeze on the cost of oil based products is speeding things up in that direction well that would be one positive at least.

I was reading about this ridiculous group recently as well, Tyre Extinguishers. They want people to go out in cities and randomly deflate the tyres of 4x4's and SUV's in order that the individuals affected might suddenly decide to use a bicycle instead. Behaviour like this is utterly thoughtless.

WWW.TYREEXTINGUISHERS.COM

We are people from all walks of life with one aim: To make it impossible to own a huge polluting 4x4 in the...

Edit. Although I did once do it to an obnoxious maths teacher at school which was quite rewarding at the time!

Edited by Doug Tait
  • Haha 2