My parents are victims of cowboy tree surgeons who are now blaming my mother.

rbx1453

22 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Seems fair, what would the full price have been?

We agreed around half of what English Woodlands Timber list their cherry slabs at per cubic metre, seeing as they sell it kiln dried and he's bought it green, plus I believe he gets discount from them and it's a lot easier for me to sell the whole lot in one go rather than mess around with having to liaise with lots of different people each only wanting a slab or 2.

13 hours ago, Stere said:

£3000 plus for one tree?

Pull the other one.....

I've no need to BS to random people on the internet. Your choice to believe me or not.

Sales price £3250, cost to get it milled and deliver it myself around £750 so approx £2500 profit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marktownend said:

We agreed around half of what English Woodlands Timber list their cherry slabs at per cubic metre, seeing as they sell it kiln dried and he's bought it green, plus I believe he gets discount from them and it's a lot easier for me to sell the whole lot in one go rather than mess around with having to liaise with lots of different people each only wanting a slab or 2.

I've no need to BS to random people on the internet. Your choice to believe me or not.

Sales price £3250, cost to get it milled and deliver it myself around £750 so approx £2500 profit.

So you sold slabbed timber, not a log as you suggested. 

13 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

What was the diameter of the Cherry? I’ve some fairly large chunks from when my frees came down in the storm.

Butt was a slightly odd shape but averaged around 600mm up to 2.4m from the ground where it split in to 2 main trunks, each of which was 400mm narrowing to 250mm where the crown started another 16m up. Almost arrow straight so he's ended up with 4 x 60mm slabs from the butt (and a couple more offcuts to come later) plus around 42 x 35mm slabs from the trunks, around 36 of which are 4m long. He's not getting the crown or a couple of 75mm cookies we cut from the root plate. I'll out some pics up in the milling section when I get the time in a few days once my real work quietens down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marktownend said:

Butt was a slightly odd shape but averaged around 600mm up to 2.4m from the ground where it split in to 2 main trunks, each of which was 400mm narrowing to 250mm where the crown started another 16m up. Almost arrow straight so he's ended up with 4 x 60mm slabs from the butt (and a couple more offcuts to come later) plus around 42 x 35mm slabs from the trunks, around 36 of which are 4m long. He's not getting the crown or a couple of 75mm cookies we cut from the root plate. I'll out some pics up in the milling section when I get the time in a few days once my real work quietens down.

That is a big un right enough. The lumps I have are maybe 20" diameter. Ive heard Cherry was sought after but never knew it was that highly valued. I'd best crack on and get mine milled up . :D 

Looking forward to seeing the pics. 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

That is a big un right enough. The lumps I have are maybe 20" diameter. Ive heard Cherry was sought after but never knew it was that highly valued. I'd best crack on and get mine milled up . :D 

Looking forward to seeing the pics. 

I won't derail this any more (not that many other threads on Arbtalk seem to keep on topic for long) and carry on with this discussion once I've put the pics up.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Seriously?

So a complete amateur millionaire throwing huge amounts of money (his own and grant funded) at hugely expensive machinery that he had no idea how to operate, making a complete tit of himself and bolloxing around in expensive wellies was - somehow - an ambassador for modern agriculture?

Holy *uck…..

Is it any wonder the ag sector is in such a state?

It beggars belief that farmers look upon him as anything other than an embarrassment. 

How much of the series have you actually watched? 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Seriously?

So a complete amateur millionaire throwing huge amounts of money (his own and grant funded) at hugely expensive machinery that he had no idea how to operate, making a complete tit of himself and bolloxing around in expensive wellies was - somehow - an ambassador for modern agriculture?

Holy *uck…..

Is it any wonder the ag sector is in such a state?

It beggars belief that farmers look upon him as anything other than an embarrassment. 

Completely missing the point.

Clarkson never claimed he was the farmer, he was the well-heeled landowner.

All the good work was being done by those around him, who he had to pay to get anything done as he was too incompetent and totally incapable, without them nothing worthwhile would have been achieved.

Giving the real credit to those around him was a recurring theme throughout the entire series and also illustrated that there were thousands of Kalebs, Ellens, and Gerards working away across the land day and daily, totally unknown, yet doing stuff that a huge percentage of the population wouldn't be capable of, and wouldn't make the effort to do even if they were.

But don't worry, you're not entirely alone in your view!

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Eight hours of a buffoon screwing things up for our supposed entertainment is bad enough, but it’s his total...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Completely missing the point.

Clarkson never claimed he was the farmer, he was the well-heeled landowner.

All the good work was being done by those around him, who he had to pay to get anything done as he was too incompetent and totally incapable, without them nothing worthwhile would have been achieved.

Giving the real credit to those around him was a recurring theme throughout the entire series and also illustrated that there were thousands of Kalebs, Ellens, and Gerards working away across the land day and daily, totally unknown, yet doing stuff that a huge percentage of the population wouldn't be capable of, and wouldn't make the effort to do even if they were.

But don't worry, you're not entirely alone in your view!

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Eight hours of a buffoon screwing things up for our supposed entertainment is bad enough, but it’s his total...

I’m missing the point - OKaaaaaaaaaay…..

Then you post a link to a guardian article which (I only read the first few paragraphs before getting bored) seemed to pretty much support the point I must be missing….

frankly - CGAS. I’m out. 

• Like 1