Husq 540iXP motor failure

Acerforestry

So, I've been running the above saw alongside a 555 for occasional use on  chestnut coppice, only using the electric unit for stems up to six maybe 7 inch, and I guess since buying it in April it's scarcely cut an acre (days off, holidays, wet weather all impacting use). I bought it not new new but prior owner had literally bought on a whim, tidied his garden up for a few hours, then sold it to me, with warranty until 2023. Today it made a slightly rattly noise that made me wonder if the sprocket was playing up, and then wouldn't go when trigger squeezed.

I have looked to see if there is anything obvious that could stop one of these other than low battery, and drawn a blank so far. Motor failure? If that's the case I doubt I'll buy another, not for the best part of a grand with a few batteries. Just curious if anyone else has put a pro grade electric ground saw through its paces but found that they are not likely to last very long before needing serious attention.

If it's got tits or an engine*, it WILL cause you problems

*"engine" includes electric motors :alberteinstein:

Could just be a dodgy connection or something, put it in for repair, if it's got a warranty, even better?

An elderly neighbour left me in a 36v cordless Black&Decker hedge trimmer to "have a look at". It was obvious that it had done next to nothing but apparently was just out of warranty, was working fine and just stopped.

So I split it and started to check all the individual components. Long story short, battery, motor, all the individual micro switches are fine, but the power goes in to a wee tiny printed circuit board before the motor and doesn't come out again. I disconnected the motor and put two wires on it straight from the battery and it worked grand so the PCB is definitely the problem.

If it was my own I'd probably just by-pass the PCB and take my chances but I don't want to do that and give it back to a man well in to his 80's, not sure exactly what the PCD is supposed to do but lithium stuff can be weird so I'll report back the issue and his son (who bought it) can chase up to see if there's any chance of repair.

Anyway, I assumed the motor would be shot, as presumably did the "garden repair centre" who he took it to before me and said they couldn't find a problem, but it wasn't the case, so it's probably not a wise assumption to make.

However if it's under warranty you don't need to worry, get it returned and find out what the problem is.

On 07/07/2022 at 16:49, Acerforestry said:

….Just curious if anyone else has put a pro grade electric ground saw through its paces but found that they are not likely to last very long before needing serious attention.

Anyway, to answer you actual question, I have had a T540i for over 2 years, and a 540i for over a year, both on oem pitch chains, using bli300 and bli200x batteries, and I have found they haven’t needed any sort of attention at all so far.

the only issues I’ve noticed are..

>the bli200 battery sometimes comes half a click out of the topper, resulting in no electrical contact being made, but thats no biggie once you’ve noticed. 
>the batteries front panels are a bit prone to cracking.