The Green Agenda

Billhook

Probem with the current "measures" is they aren't progressive or logical and skewed by coporate interests so the burden is on the less wealthy.

Vechicle fuel tax is a flat tax, but non on aviation fuel etc.

RHI cash for ash fiasco etc

Insulation  upgrade schemes dropped due to mismagement. Standards for new homes not raised due to placing undue burden "red tape" on housing companies that make record profits...

Billion pound subsidies for fossil fuel companies above and beyond the ones for any "green agenda" .

HS2 vanity project instead  of investment electrifying branch rail lines or better local pulbic transport.

Poor air quality is a big killer though so can understand the low emission zone, but needs viable alternatives subsidized or invested in at same time...

Edited by Stere
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Thats pretty misleading at least for here in the UK. Coal generates just 3.4% of our energy according to government figures for 2020 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1032260/UK_Energy_in_Brief_2021.pdf

Agreed - as an info graphic, it has its flaws. But it’s not really designed to appeal to the sort of ‘thinking’ audience of AT. 

If it said (instead of coal fired power station) massively over subscribed national infrastructure resulting in excessive supply v demand price inflation fuelled by shareholder profit over consumer protection, amplified year on year by decades of government failure to properly invest in critical infrastructure and a general lack of appreciation of the ‘value’ of the asset from users resulting in eye watering waste and complacency, further amplified by lazy building regulations and a general complacency from the masses (I could continue but I think I’ve already smashed the available space in the (mis?) infographic 😂😂👍🏻

• Like 2

"

I feel that we need to revisit this subject.  One phrase I dislike is "The science is settled"  The science should never be settled but always be able to answer questions when theories do not seem to materialise as predicted.  Just to question any climate science labels you a denier in the same way as you might question the existence of particular God.

I believe that the Earth is warming, but I am unsure of the cause and amount."

I found this graph puts the warming V time period in to perspective. The speed of change is so dramatic and it makes it near impossible for many species to adapt to such rapid warming. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Some nice whaterboutry  & aren't green energy sources often as cheap or cheaper than fossil now?

On shore wind etc

Do agree that alot of green is just green-wash and marketing bullshit though, to maintain the illusion that  modern commerism etc can still be green.

Think climate change is just one aspect and maybe not the worst one of exceeding "plantery boundaries"... mass extinctions pollution etc..... soil loss

File:Planetary Boundaries.png - Wikimedia Commons

Things are beingf f**ked up that took nature/life eons to develop and there won't be any easy way to fix them?

Where is World War on your graph??

• Like 1

I don’t understand why all new buildings aren’t stipulated to have solar arrays as roof structures.

We clear sites for warehouse construction - these buildings cover acres of ground. Why can’t it be a planning condition that they must be built oriented to optimise rooftop solar? It’s the same with new farm buildings etc. 
There are plenty of little steps that could be taken/forced upon us that I feel could/should be implemented - I certainly don’t feel that ‘the green agenda’ as it stands is anything other than smoke-and-mirrors woke bullshit that does nothing to address any perceived issues (it simply moves the problems elsewhere). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

"

I feel that we need to revisit this subject.  One phrase I dislike is "The science is settled"  The science should never be settled but always be able to answer questions when theories do not seem to materialise as predicted.  Just to question any climate science labels you a denier in the same way as you might question the existence of particular God.

I believe that the Earth is warming, but I am unsure of the cause and amount."

I found this graph puts the warming V time period in to perspective. The speed of change is so dramatic and it makes it near impossible for many species to adapt to such rapid warming. 

You can find all sorts of graphs and computer projections to enforce  what ever your belief is.  Just look at the hockey stick graph and the amazing death toll from Covid computer projections

I have a great deal of trouble in the theory that CO2 is the main driver of Climate Change and find it far more likely that it is caused by the sun not being a constant, our orbit around it also not being a constant, our wobble as we rotate, the influence of other planets pulling us about not to mention whatever radiation and other energy coming at us from outside the solar system 

CO2 is 0.04% of our atmosphere and of that tiny percentage 95% is produced by the oceans and general life on Earth leaving about 5% caused by humans.  Here in the Uk we produce 1% of that 5% which I make to be 0.0001% of the  CO2 in the atmosphere 

I am willing to be corrected but it seems to me that the real way to control our emissions and abuse of resources  if you believe it to be the cause, is to reduce the human population to about 3 billion, preferably by education and financial incentive rather than nuclear war

• Like 6

The last ' ice age ' or Pleistocene is believed to have lasted about 2 1/2 million years interspersed with many interglacial warm periods of between 10 and 40 thousand years.

Some argue we're in one of these warm periods at the moment and it's only the arrogance of mankind deeming ourselves so important that we must be in a new Epoch which they named the Holocene.

It must be 30 years since I heard climate change described as a multi-trillion dollar business opportunity that can not be stopped.

The BGS geological timechart provides colourful reference material for use in schools, colleges and at home, setting out...

• Like 3

Sure many things can be pointed to with clever use of graphs so I will forget the science and stats for a second.

I have lived in the same place all my life. In the 70s we had a Landrover and during the winter months we always would keep snow chains in the back and used them in anger on many occasions. Blizzards snowed us in most years. We were often sent home from school early due to snow multiple times per winter. Never had temps in the 30s apart from 1976

These days snow is rare and being snowed in has happened twice in the last 20years. Our temps get into the 30s most years.

Now I know weather patterns change and localised climate change is different from global warming but if I ignore the science/stats and just take it as I see it warming is far worse than the supposed 1C of warming since the 60s

• Like 1