Stovax Stockton 5

I fitted 2 Morso stoves in 1997, the first in the dining room was run 24/7(autum/winter/spring months for about 5 years until I finally got the floor laid in the living room) then the one in the living room was treated in the same way for about 10 years until I switched to burning conifer after which I let it go out at night and relit each morning, and then got another 5 years running like that, until we moved into the garden room in about 2017.

So the middle Morso got 15 years of hot and heavy burning(like the flue pipe glowing dull red on a few occassions) and the CI carcase is still perfect, but it did need couple of alcohol induced replacment windows, perhaps 2 new baffle plates(I think) and a set of the side lining fire bricks, plus 1 change of the rope seal.

But the stove itself  is still good for another 115 years.

And like with a car I would regard these items as normal servicing or wear and tear items.

Except the 2017 Morso is fornicated after 5 years of light and gentle use, in that the top plate is badly cracked, so thanks East Germany for your shitty exported CI.

Edited by difflock

Many stove manufacturers have their products built in China, India or the old communist block, thats why they can sometimes be cheaper that stoves made from scratch in the UK or Western Europe.

I am a dealer for Charnwood, Arada and Esse,  all 100% UK  built,   I also act for Morso and while I have seen a couple of models come in marked on the advise note as made in Hungary I have never had any sort of problem.  Temperatures in the firebox can exceed 1000 deg C,  so pretty extreme,  that level of heat will soon sort the quality of the product used in the build out.      My own Morso at home as a baffle plate occasionally,  new door rope and a set of bricks every 2 or 3 years,  these are to be expected.   

I did look at a Stovax Stockton 5 the other day with a view to supplying some internal parts,  built after 2014 according to the data plate it seemed ok other than needing new internals.  

Difflock,   the outer casing of your Morso is warranted either 5 years or 10,  depending on if its steel (5) or cast iron (10),   parts inside the firebox do not have any warranty at all,  that is standard across the industry with the exception of Charnwood.  If you feel that the stove has not given you the service then complain to your point of supply.    There should have been a warranty registration card within the stove ( providing it was a UK supply and not a grey import) thus if you filled that in and returned it Morso UK will have a record of same if your supplier has ceased to trade.   If its a grey import then the warranty is 12 months only as it was not supplied by Morso UK.  

A

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

Just bought and fitted the Stovax Stockton 5 wide for home. Really pleased with it. 

Only thing I had against the standard one at my grand daughter's is that you need gloves to open the door, also too many controls to fiddle with. Shame she won't light it and I end up picking up the tab for the gas bill.

I don't remember anything about the baffle support pin either

12 hours ago, Pat Jane said:

I have a fairly new Stockton 5.  Great stove but the baffle support pin is jammed on.  Any tips for getting it off?

As the previous post, there are two pins, one each side of the stove and the baffle slides forward pivoting on the two pins and the front edge nearest the front of the stove is pulled down in to the stove until the baffle is out and sitting on the bottom of the stove where it can be removed from the stove. 

• Like 1