Climbing a "leaner"

john87

Hi all,

Advice required!!

I have to remove a silver birch. Problem is it is surrounded by buildings on three sides and leans towards them [just to be awkward] so i have to climb the thing and dismantle it.

There are no trees close to it so i cannot climb them and traverse across either, and it is a skinny spindly thing too.

If it were vertical i would not be worried, but, as it leans a fair bit, i am not very thrilled with the idea, as i have not climbed a leaner on spikes before.

As i have to climb to where it is only about five inches in diameter i would double wrap the flip line round the thing, but as it leans, i am worried about falling round to the "wrong" side. If i double wrapped the flip line and then slipped round i would imagine that i would end up nearly horizontal, so not doing that!!

I am planning to use the flip line as normal, but use it in tandem with my lanyard [choked off round the thing attached to the bridge of the harness] and advance said flip line and choked off lanyard in tandem..

Does this sound ok??

john..

Consider/experiment with using chokered slings instead of spikes. Or in conjunction with spikes. Use the slings as footholds, chokered just above groin hight and long enough that you can stand in them like stirrups. Keep your groin in contact with the stem... Something along these lines. Depends on the severity of the lean. If it's really bad, you're gonna need to straddle the stem and use the weight of your legs/feet as a counterweight to your upper body. But you're still gonna need something to stand on. 

download (21).jpeg

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

That is a great idea!!! Not sure it will work with the tree i have in mind as there is a fork i have to get past, but brilliant idea though!!

I will go and have a look at the tree when this wind stops, see what i think, if i could use slings like you say..

john..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john87 said:

I am planning to use the flip line as normal, but use it in tandem with my lanyard [choked off round the thing attached to the bridge of the harness] and advance said flip line and choked off lanyard in tandem..

That's what I would do if I had to do the job, but haironyourchest's suggestion makes sense.

From the point of view of running a business and wanting to enjoy the work I do, I don't feel bad turning down some jobs.

For example, I declined to quote for dismantling a decent sized Beech recently, because it was over the road, power lines, and BT cables. I am an older climber, and while I am able to do that job by climbing (road not wide enough for my MEWP with traffic lights in place), I would not want to have to do it on a foul wet day - you can't really postpone just because it is wet and unpleasant; need sever gales or snow to justify not turning out. Sorry for the derail, but just giving another perspective on awkward jobs.

Edited by maybelateron
missed out "if"
  • Like 1

If you need to advance past a union, just bring a bunch of slings. Make them, or buy various lengths of ready made sewn tape slings, they're cheap. Leave them in situ as you go up...  An underappreciated tool. Instant handholds on branchless stems, footholds when yr creeping out on an upward angled limb etc.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 1

I've tried slings and found them awkward. Spike up the top side as Mick says, only thing I would suggest is if I'm worried I put a Multisaver (adjustable cambium saver) round the stem with main line through so that I'm already rigged for a clean safe descent if it goes wrong.

That or get a more experienced climber in to dismantle it, will be safer.

• Like 3