Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

And how is that in any way relevant to the thread??

I often can't be arsed with farmers too, but u still have to respect their livestock or any other animals that live in the countryside.

if anything it would make it easier for numpties to let there dogs run free in the fields as dairy cows never get to see any grass nowadays.

Do u really think dairy farmers have chosen to go the way it has went or commercial beef farmers being driven by supermarket penny pinchers who only see the bottom line of profit.

It would be go that way or out of business, simple as really as many of the smaller family run dairies/farms have went to the wall

5 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

And how is that in any way relevant to the thread??

Ah, like the joke you have explain....

I perhaps shouldn’t have linked that article to that part of your previous post - it was only intended as an amplification of the perception of a gulf between ag and gen pop. I probably didn’t think or present the point very well - it’s just that it literally popped up on BBC news at 6 as I was reading your post. 

Wasn’t intended as any sort of criticism. 

The thread has touched upon several potential contributory factors in what might be perceived as an increase in herd aggression. I think it would be fair to consider external financial pressures leading to less sensitive farming practices might have a part to play...  I think so.  

(Heaven forbid anyone suggest a link between bTB and intensive dairy practice - that really would kick start the detail!)

In a word the problem is Countryfile.

Back in the 70s/80s/90s the countryside was to be avoided, boring smelly and full of thick peasants covered in animal shit.

It was great, we had it to ourselves.

Thanks to that program, everyone wants a piece of it, all thinking they’re Kate Humble or that ginger farmer bloke, all centering themselves with the help of Mother Nature.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

It may have touched on herd aggression but i seriously doubt any of the herds were dairy cows.

In fact the fact they were cows with calfs at foot actually proves they weren't dairy cows hence wondering why it was relevent in any way.

Sort of proves ur point about folk not understanding agriculture very well thou

I have no idea wot the programme will highlight but 1 of the main problems i have with modern dairying in is just the oppisate of this thread, many dairy cows will never set foot on grass.

Hell some might go there entire life and never set foot on grass depending how they are raised as calfs/heifers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Back in the 70s/80s/90s the countryside was to be avoided, boring smelly and full of thick peasants covered in animal shit.

Thanks to that program, everyone wants a piece of it, all thinking they’re Kate Humble or that ginger farmer bloke, all centering themselves with the help of Mother Nature.

Countryfile has been a misnomer for yonks....  Kind of agree though. 

What’s even worse is that complete tosser Clarkson throwing ££££s at land and kit (whilst milking subsidy) and pissing around like a fool in a tractor. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I tend to agree Mick,the problem is when they do come out here they bring there own rules with them,which usually involves straying wherever they want,dumping litter everywhere,dogs and kids running wild,parking in gateways and leave the car for the day,gobbing off at people,i could go on!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Countryfile has been a misnomer for yonks....  Kind of agree though. 

What’s even worse is that complete tosser Clarkson throwing ££££s at land and kit (whilst milking subsidy) and pissing around like a fool in a tractor. 

A lot of farmers think his honest appraisal of the issues and difficulties involved is refreshing.

I’ve never seen it mind, my brother who’s in farming told me, so that’s not gospel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

It may have touched on herd aggression but i seriously doubt any of the herds were dairy cows.

In fact the fact they were cows with calfs at foot actually proves they weren't dairy cows hence wondering why it was relevent in any way.

Sort of proves ur point about folk not understanding agriculture very well thou

The thread has (not may have) touched upon aggression and the perceived reasons for it. 

Bit confused by next bit - do you mean the cattle in the incident which is the subject of the thread. 

I did go back and re-read the original HSE article to check detail. It is sketchy but you make reasonable assumptions - assumptions are a degree or two short of facts / proof though. 

6 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

A lot of farmers think his honest appraisal of the issues and difficulties involved is refreshing.

I’ve never seen it mind, my brother who’s in farming told me, so that’s not gospel.

I watched about 10 mins. 

Maybe it was just the ****************offery of TV sensationalism that pissed me off but genuinely couldn’t stand that he was so inept and clueless. 

There was a feature in the Oxford Mail last week. 

A county council trying to impose vegan meals at council meetings was met with a “very British protest” of farmers - including Clarkson apparently - handing out free meat snacks. 

So, yes, I’d agree, he is no doubt on the side of the farmer - he’s recently become one (wonder if I might try and look up his subsidy levels,)

The appropriate question might perhaps not be whether Clarkson is on side though....  It’s the consumer public that needs to be on side....  Without that, it really is hopeless. 

• Like 1