60 Days with the Gypsies (New Series)

topchippyles

I watched it and was suprised at the end - without wanting to give away thr end of the episode - he's spent a day or so with a gypsy family and I guess had explained what he was doing. trying to portray them in a fair way, time to move on and found out his caravan had been broken into, a dump on his transit windscreen. dented roof and front bodywork trashed... For a Gypsy PR exercise they didn't come out of it very well.

Let’s hope they carry on that way and broadcast their true colours to the nation on TV.
Our lives are generally impacted by their crime, mess and shoddy workmanship tainting industries like tree surgery
If you have absolutely no experience / knowledge of them people can tend to be sympathetic to them and look at them through rose tinted lenses romanticised by the ‘old ways’ of tinker / gypsy lifestyle and wax lyrical about them having their rights to roam blah blah blah.
I hope they shoot themselves in the foot on national TV and lose some of these sympathy votes.

I haven’t watched it but these programmes are all the same. I’ll wager it starts off exposing some dreadful behaviour ( which it sounds like it has ) then there will be a shift showing their struggles in living their way portraying them as victims and then something showing how tight knit they are, the ‘values’ of their culture and Ed will walk away with a different but undecided view posing a few questions both good and bad.

I accept within their Race/culture there are genuine old school travellers.
Rightly or wrongly I differentiate them by terminology. They are travellers.
Those recidivists out there committing scams and theft are termed pikies ( or worse ) and looked at differently
That’s mirrored in every culture though

• Like 6

Not all so-called gypsies are travellers; those living on fixed sites I've found to be so much closer to the rest of us in the way they live their lives:  there's a hierarchy, the boss man being king - what he says goes.

Some years ago I bought a lift trolley on ebay and had to collect it from a huge permanent site near Gloucester.  The place was immaculate - the cars were even parked neatly and symmetrically.  The guys there were very pleasant and easy to deal with and there was absolutely no attempt at hiding what was lying around the large yard or in the sheds, all of which were a hive of activity; I could have been in Wickes' car park!

I'm not defending the all-too-common bad side of things or claiming that those guys were angels but it's important to maintain a sense of proportion

Edited by nepia
  • Like 4

Going to stick my neck out here but I think you cannot judge any race or group of people and label the whole group as such.
In both my NHS career and during tree work, I have met some decent gypsies.

My experience is generally: if you treat people with respect, you will be treated respectfully in return.

Having said that, we also caught 2 blokes in a white Transit on our Farm "looking for scrap".  They were prevented from leaving, and the police called.  One known to the police.  They got a verbal caution for trespass and that was it because they had none of our gear on their Transit.  We were advised to keep the main gates chained going forward: which at 6am in the dark on my bike is a pain in the arse but???

Same crew turned over a big house about a mile away about 6/52 later that was unoccupied except for the builders,,,

Same Transit and id meant the police had something to work with.

A

• Haha 1