Trolley Jacks - Recomendations?

Spruce Pirate

For years I had the cheapo DIY grade trolleys jacks, circa £20 a go, and they are ok, still keep one in the van for emergency use.

Just before covid, was after something better though, the local motor factors have a few on display, the cheapest was a 3ton "national machinery" one at about £120. Looks like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/NA3010-3010-Trolley-chassis-133-515mm/dp/B00AZJY94Y

Much nicer to use, stronger, lifts higher etc

Can i just say one thing about jacks... We all know not to go under things supported on a jack, BUT, we have ALL done things where if the jack was suddenly to collapse, we would have been hurt.

NEVER EVER take any risks at all, here is why..

A few years ago i was moving something that weighed 1.25 tons with a pallet truck that was rated for 2 tons so no problem. The load was raised by a few inches and i was nowhere near the thing, then WHAM, the thing dropped like a stone, no warning, nothing, just INSTANT collapse..

I thought WTF???? When i took the hydraulics apart, the seal and its backup had just shattered, literally all broken up. When i went to the hydraulic place to get new ones, i asked them about this. They said it was common, the seal goes hard with age and then, when under pressure, just falls to bits..

Please be careful..

john..

• Like 3

As per doobin - the small trolley jacks are something I would not buy unless I needed to transport it having used both types.  The only down side with a full sized one is the weight and that is not a problem as long as it is on the floor (!).

Do make sure though that the jack has the required height (lift) you need as well as the weight.  Not a problem when lifting cars but if you are lifting stuff with high ground clearance you may need much greater lift and it is not to easy to put a trolley jack on a block of wood like a bottle jack.

I got my latest one from Costco (a few years ago now) and it was <£70 that I thought was reasonable.  I don't use it much though so although it certainly works well I do not know about durability.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

That's why I bought a Sealey trolley jack which has 3 self-locking positions. It's a bit of a pain to remember to lift and unlock, but for the times when you forget to use an axle stand...

Mines a Sealey 2000LJ, they used to do a 3 tonne one but they seem hard to come by now.

Never knew you could get a jack like that!! Good idea though!

john..

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm leaning towards just getting the Halfords.  Reviews are as good as the likes of the Sealeys cost is a good bit less, lift is more or less the same.

John, I'm pretty good at making sure something is properly supported before going underneath it, but I know what you mean about always being the odd time you do.  I'll try and be better all the time.