Sunday Noise Abatement Laws England

hesslemount

It should be an easy Google search but I’m getting many conflicting answers. In England as a business what’s the legal times, from and to, that I can do chainsaw work, chipping & hedge trimming, on a) Sunday and b) all other days.

I’m getting conflicting answers and can’t find a definitive answer. There must be legislation that encompasses all commercial tree & shrub work for England?

9 hours ago, hesslemount said:

It should be an easy Google search but I’m getting many conflicting answers. In England as a business what’s the legal times, from and to, that I can do chainsaw work, chipping & hedge trimming, on a) Sunday and b) all other days.

I’m getting conflicting answers and can’t find a definitive answer. There must be legislation that encompasses all commercial tree & shrub work for England?

I’m not sure you’ll find ‘definitive’ answers. 

More, likely what is reasonable. 

Not particularly unreasonable to do hedge cutting on a weekend - it happens throughout suburbia all summer long. 

Only time I’ve ever had an ‘intervention’ was a site clearance which we did on a weekend to suit a couple of lads child care arrangements. Neighbours were looking for any excuse to oppose the development so called noise abatement. I think it ended up being 08:00-17:00 Mon-Fri 08:00-13:00 Sat and none on a Sunday / Bank Holiday. Developer complied since he didn’t want to upset planning but it cost him because he still had to pay for work that couldn’t be completed within contract days. 

Extract from “Noise” page of my LA attached - I think you’d be rare to have a complaint - unless you were doing same tree / hedge every weekend (but that’s unlikely.)

Sorry, no direct answer to the question. I’d just say to anyone that complains - you show me the reference. If you can’t find they won’t be able to either....

AD4E6BF3-5363-4569-91DE-AAF2F94E2888.png

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

I had a customer ask the council when I suggested a Saturday to take down a tree, the answer he got was there isn't actually a rule for tree work but we suggest you follow the construction site noise rules which are basically as Kevin says above. Had to find a weekday because they didn't want to upset anyone.

Personally I'll go for 8 on a Saturday, but wouldn't fire up chipper before 9 on a Sunday. 

As above. Avoid sundays.

Leave that for rail / highways stuff

Farmers having a general exemption due to seasonal nature of the work for their machinery

Certainly a no no for domestic work.

We did a hedge trimming job on a bank holiday at a school once. 4/5 trimmers going all day. Not out of choice more running out of time to do it. Got a couple of complaints. One was particularly irate. Offered apologies and finished as quick as poss. The bloke was right.

Besides. It’s Sunday. Have a rest and do something other than work.

4 minutes ago, Stere said:

But christian centric....

Nice to have a day that  quiet though

Yes it's best to have a bit of quiet and Sunday is my day, I won't start any machine except for transport at home, so I agree with @Mick Dempsey and @lux though we do working parties at a remote wood on Sundays but are generally drowned out by traffic noise. Railway work there was no choice.