Helmet Damage

Doug Tait

On 24/12/2021 at 09:32, peatff said:

What if he cut his leg off with the saw and fell, damaging his helmet, would they still refuse to pay out ? I think not, lighten up man.

The problem then comes with the HSE & your insurance company.
If you not adhering to the rules and regulations on that, what else aren't you adhering to. It then does not take long to dig into what you are or have been doing. Then there, is can we see your records, risk assessments, method statements, PPE, LOLER record for the last six years please? Hmmm you seem to have a very scant approach to risk in the work place. As your not operating in accordance with HSE laws and regulations, and ICOP, Best practice. It is inevitable that at some point this was going to happen and you are therefore not covered.

3 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

Afraid it does..
I do LOLER inspections of climbing kits. A well used rope, sling, harness etc that has no defect and is still in date will pass. But an unused version that is out of date won't...
The problem always comes when an issue or accident arises and the insurance company and or HSE comes out and inspects everything. Then your insurance is invalidated, and HSE then fines you way more than if you had of just replaced kit.

From a HSE point of view no expense is too much for your protection.
Everyone has different views on where the barrier is set. but in my business I take it seriously. I value my health and ability to work and that of anyone who works with me.
I think it is also something you appreciate more with age and wisdom.

If I needed saving in a dire situation and rescuer pulled an un used rope out of his bag that was not in date I'm gonna tell him wow ! go get something else , I still got some blood left .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

If I needed saving in a dire situation and rescuer pulled an un used rope out of his bag that was not in date I'm gonna tell him wow ! go get something else , I still got some blood left .

Of course a rescuer will likely have  performed the LOLER check prior to coming to work.

I still have climbing ropes from up to 50 years ago which I kept for odd jobs and never used, I would be interested in testing them to see how much the performance has dropped, at least one is cable lay nylon.

• Like 2

On 24/12/2021 at 09:18, Stere said:

Field Testing for Degraded Shells
A simple field test can be performed to determine possible degradation of polyethylene shells:Compress the shell inward from the sides about 1 inch with both hands, then release the pressure without dropping the shell. The shell should quickly return to its original shape, exhibiting elasticity. There should be no residual deformation. Compare the elasticity of the sample with that of a new shell. If the sample does not exhibit elasticity similar to that of a new shell, or if it cracks because of brittleness, it should be replaced immediately.

hmm might work?

I tried the field test suggested by Stere. With very little pressure applied to the sides the helmet just cracked up the back.

DSC_1190.thumb.JPG.749dafe046cd979dd11a74f55c4fb6dc.JPG

• Like 1

That is interesting, I was going to add the story of a helmet at work that got cracked by a chipper wheel as the machine was pushed around - wasn't there myself and stories vary but by all accounts a little squeeze and it shattered into several pieces when you would have expected it to bend and spring back. I think it was 8 years old though.

It made me think about mine at the time which was 4 years old, when I looked at inside compared to outside the colour was definitely fading and that seemed to be a sure sign of UV effect so I replaced it.

• Like 1