Helmet Damage

Doug Tait

Field Testing for Degraded Shells
A simple field test can be performed to determine possible degradation of polyethylene shells:Compress the shell inward from the sides about 1 inch with both hands, then release the pressure without dropping the shell. The shell should quickly return to its original shape, exhibiting elasticity. There should be no residual deformation. Compare the elasticity of the sample with that of a new shell. If the sample does not exhibit elasticity similar to that of a new shell, or if it cracks because of brittleness, it should be replaced immediately.

hmm might work?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stere said:

arb helmets don't have thoose liners kind of different....... and they don't mention UV degrading the liner covers.....

How about thoose  aluminium ones the axemen yanks wear?

Watch Ax Men Season 10 Episode 8 | HISTORY Channel

Yes but, if UV is the main cause of plastic degradation, where is the logic of throwing away my helmet, still in its box kept away from light and cold in a dark cupboard

I do have issues with this kind of unnecessary waste of completely ok products just because of some middle management policy because nobody can be bothered to check whether the products are still fine to use.  Here is another example in the NHS where millions of pounds worth of useful drugs are disposed because of a lazy regulation.

Pads, wipes, inco sheets, gloves, drainage bags etc, as long as you have sealed unopened packs, places like Drs practices, District nurses services will make use of them, though they will reject any opened packs.

Meds though are a real pain, as soon as they are handed to you over the pharmacy counter, opened or nay, they have to be destroyed. I couldn't fine anywhere, legal, where you could hand them over to a charity to be used in developing countries :( I used to work for MSF, even going through back channels it's 'dodgy'

23 hours ago, peds said:

Until the inquest and inspection of all PPE concerned, resulting in a cheque for naff all from the insurance. 

What if he cut his leg off with the saw and fell, damaging his helmet, would they still refuse to pay out ? I think not, lighten up man.

18 minutes ago, peatff said:

What if he cut his leg off with the saw and fell, damaging his helmet, would they still refuse to pay out ? I think not, lighten up man.

Yeah, and what if he tripped on a kerb and got mashed by an artic... what if he had a heart attack following a particularly violent sneeze... how many more scenarios can we list where the helmet doesn't matter? Loads, I bet.

But an object falling from height onto a visibly, obviously damaged helmet... questions will be asked.

PPE is there to do two things, protect the wearer and tick a box. Even if this particular helmet still worked at 99% for protection, the chip in it means it no longer ticks the box.

As suggested, I'd be happy to wear this lid while trimming or strimming in my own garden, but I absolutely would not wear this professionally. 

Horrible but true, got told by surgeon that worst cranial injury is scaffolders getting clip or bracket dropped from great height, the bits of smashed plastic helmet in injury are worse than the  chunk of metal as they harder to see on xrays 🙁 K

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Horrible but true, got told by surgeon that worst cranial injury is scaffolders getting clip or bracket dropped from great height, the bits of smashed plastic helmet in injury are worse than the  chunk of metal as they harder to see on xrays 🙁 K

Assessing brain damage in a scaffolder is also tricky 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 23/12/2021 at 06:01, Billhook said:

Does that apply to one bought as a spare that has been sitting in its original box in a dark cupboard, unused for five years?

Afraid it does..
I do LOLER inspections of climbing kits. A well used rope, sling, harness etc that has no defect and is still in date will pass. But an unused version that is out of date won't...
The problem always comes when an issue or accident arises and the insurance company and or HSE comes out and inspects everything. Then your insurance is invalidated, and HSE then fines you way more than if you had of just replaced kit.

From a HSE point of view no expense is too much for your protection.
Everyone has different views on where the barrier is set. but in my business I take it seriously. I value my health and ability to work and that of anyone who works with me.
I think it is also something you appreciate more with age and wisdom.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2021 at 21:29, Doug Tait said:

Well, I'm probably Type 1 on the Spruce Pirate scale so agree with the majority, time for a new one.

@Dan Maynard That helmet has been 4yrs+ in use. It did strike me as odd it would break from a little tug, I hadn't thought about it being brittle with age.

I did try a power ranger protos helmet one of the lads at work got and thought it very comfy. Anyone here have one?

I have a range of helmets, Husky, Petzl and the Protos.... At first I wasn't as keen on the Protos as I thought I would be. But having used it for a while, I am very pleased with it and would have it again. I only use it for the tree work and use the others for Ground work.

• Like 1