Laptop .

Stubby

11 hours ago, Stubby said:

I want to buy my daughter a new laptop for Chrimble .  Potentially for her going to uni . My son has been to uni and said get one the same as his . Good on him and all that but I want to get her the " billie bollox " . Any suggestions would be helpful . ( thanks in advance )  ( old stubby is pissed at the moment ) . 👍

Stubby your gonna need some deep pockets for this by the sound of things🤣

• Like 1

WWW.APPLE.COM

Now with the new Apple M1 chip for faster-than-ever performance and all-new capabilities on MacBook Air. Buy...

This one with upgraded memory will be fine as long as she has a cloud storage account for backups/photos (or doesn't need to store lots of pictures on her laptop). Its probably worth dropping the extra £200 on this one for the 512B SSD if you're concerned. It will add long term usefulness for sure. Be aware too they used to offer a student discount at the apple store. Don't know if they still do that.

Thats £1399 for the base laptop + mem upgrade + 512G SSD. You could spend £50 more and get the higher spec starter with the same upgrades, not sure what that gives you in real terms though, other than a bigger bill.

Edited by Ben Pinnick

Hard choice this, got old Toughbook the army n engineers use, run Ubuntu on it and its retro fab ( cool fr Uni  😋) but most my work done on galaxy tablets in the field now, in otterboxes. Her Apple tablet is rubbish btw, hates it and its baffling. K

Rather than flinging damn expensive options out there, what about looking at what she intends to do with the laptop and then match the requirements and add a bit to make sure!

Being a bit stupid....what can one of these Apple lappys do for me that my aged souped up Fujitsu cant? I guess looking "cool", "trendy" and socially acceptable is in there but that being said, a fool and their money are easily separated!

I do tend to think of Apple as "kings clothes". I get their customer support thing but that is for the uninitiated who think FSB is the Russian secret police and wear tin hats to protect them from viruses!

• Like 4

I bought an A grade refurbished HP Elitebook laptop six years ago from Tier1Online for under £300 inc. VAT.

They build the laptop to your specifications.

If your daughter plays games or uses design software then you would need a laptop with decent graphics. Otherwise for general word processing and internet browsing I personally don't see the point in spending a lot.

Laptops have moved on since I bought mine, so minimum 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD hard drive wouldn't cost too much.

WWW.TIER1ONLINE.COM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Apple is not for everyone i hate using them to be honest. What phone does your daughter use stubby ? If she is an iphone user she would like apple i should think.

This^^ if the lass doesn't use Apple don't get her one, until you know them it's a pain. Same with all tech, I used my brothers android phone a couple of times last week... took me an age to work the thing out.

That said tying my shoelaces is a task, never mind trying to work new technology.