£15/hour

eggsarascal

6 hours ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

I seen this tendency, more and more, my bet is, that manual work will become very well paid, reason is simple, no offence but most western people can not coup with manual labour at all, i mean completely cant. 

Trouble these days isn't we can't but "Aimed/Taught" by Controlled media that life is in PC/Coding/Desk jockeying/Paper shuffling.

There are young guy's that scamper round like a Squirrel on speed yet many just get advantage taken out of them!

Much though has come from Shit Schooling with Social experiments over the years.(Was one thing done years back to take thinking from you).

But in this country we have always been told/fed were lazy.ignorant.racists etc much is to bash us down which England is one of the top on ladder to keep natives down!.

Media loves to inflame the race/immigrant card much of it sponsored by likes of Murdoch etc.

Myself don't have an issue with others taking jobs if can do properly! But what i do have an issue with is a non level playing field take HGV/LGV many coming in do not have to/havent taken an HGV test they go to likes of post office in there country and buy.stamp for X amount.(Reason why so many crashes as so many can't reverse even)and Can do there CPC as and when when UK drivers have to do NOW!

There are many trades that are very skilled but income is poop compared to someone sitting on there Butt hole in an office.

Friend made Real decent furniture designed it also yet shit cash.

Welding can get reasonable if fully Coded plus need to be in right place.

• Like 1

I been following this thread with some interest.

Born in 1959, reared very very lean in a 900 sq ft subsidy bungalow, (typical 4 Yorkshireman story) but "larned" to only buy what you could afford.

Anyway, 60 + years later, well set financially, with a bought and paid for house, and one to spare, plus some reasonable acreage(including multiple potential sites) plus bought(with a not inconsiderable contribution from each child) 2 houses for the children, cash down, free and clear.

All on a Council supervisors salary, never even reaching 30k a year after many very incremental promotions and increments, with the wife a teacher.

Simply by dint of the now fashionable "FIRE" mindset.

Each of us worked 2 jobs, Saved, like fornication, only bought a second hand car, shared between us, and 2nd hand furniture etc etc.

Then bought a basic home for cash, did it up ourselves, rinsed and

repeated.

Still eat leftover foodstuffs and hoard shit, nowt(with a nod to the Yorkshire men again)gets wasted.

Many mickle makes a mackle(bloody Yorkshire men get in everywhere, don't they!)

Anyway,

I continue to be either perplexed or horrified at the prolifigate way so many people live, while they constantly complain, "it's well for them, they can afford it".

P.S.

Most(all bar 1, other than me, that is) of the minimum wage workers I work alongside  rush to the cafeteria or canteen to buy "scrans".

I.e. No packed lunches.

I realize the NI property market was not representative of the UK market when we first bought.

However our 27 year old daughter, ( and working for the desperately underpaid NHS as a physio) is well on her way to her third dwelling, bought "cash down". But she drives a 10 year old car.

Though property prices are going mad, so she is not rushing into another purchase.

I am aware the above account will be rubbing salt in some wounds, but that has been a simple account of my/our experience.

EDIT

Yes I did get an inheritance, some 15 years ago, the absence of which would have made some difference to our progress, however .  .  .

Edited by difflock
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, difflock said:

I been following this thread with some interest.

Born in 1959, reared very very lean in a 900 sq ft subsidy bungalow, (typical 4 Yorkshireman story) but "larned" to only buy what you could afford.

Anyway, 60 + years later, well set financially, with a bought and paid for house, and one to spare, plus some reasonable acreage(including multiple potential sites) plus bought(with a not inconsiderable contribution from each child) 2 houses for the children, cash down, free and clear.

All on a Council supervisors salary, never even reaching 30k a year after many very incremental promotions and increments, with the wife a teacher.

Simply by dint of the now fashionable "FIRE" mindset.

Each of us worked 2 jobs, Saved, like fornication, only bought a second hand car, shared between us, and 2nd hand furniture etc etc.

Then bought a basic home for cash, did it up ourselves, rinsed and

repeated.

Still eat leftover foodstuffs and hoard shit, nowt(with a nod to the Yorkshire men again)gets wasted.

Many mickle makes a mackle(bloody Yorkshire men get in everywhere, don't they!)

Anyway,

I continue to be either perplexed or horrified at the prolifigate way so many people live, while they constantly complain, "it's well for them, they can afford it".

P.S.

Most(all bar 1, other than me, that is) of the minimum wage workers I work alongside  rush to the cafeteria or canteen to buy "scrans".

I.e. No packed lunches.

I realize the NI property market was not representative of the UK market when we first bought.

However our 27 year old daughter, ( and working for the desperately underpaid NHS as a physio) is well on her way to her third dwelling, bought "cash down". But she drives a 10 year old car.

Though property prices are going mad, so she is not rushing into another purchase.

I am aware the above account will be rubbing salt in some wounds, but that has been a simple account of my/our experience.

EDIT

Yes I did get an inheritance, some 15 years ago, the absence of which would have made some difference to our progress, however .  .  .

Our story is very similar..... except inheritance just coming now once I complete probate, not paying greedy lawyers to do it.

Work, save and make do. 

If you can't pay for it don't buy it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

It's not out of reach, my nephew and his partner have just bought their own place, his words to me, "it's fecking expensive getting a house ain't it, Simon".

When I asked my brother, his dad why he hadn't helped him, he said, "I let him sweat it, now he's got a place I'll pay for all the furnishings".

Harsh in my eyes. But shows it can be done.

Yes both my Daughters have done it and they are both still in there 20s and both have had no help from me or there mother as i know of, i think my Mum and the other Nana gave em about 1K each but that was for furnishings,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I love how all the home owners are preaching how clever they were to buy a house decades ago for pennies.
Congratulations.
Now **************** off, because there are millions of us who will never afford to own a home.
Millions on minimum wage or low paid jobs.
It’s not having the balls to buy somewhere…
Every single person of my generation I know got the deposit off there family.
You can’t work pay rent and save 20-50k…
This world is deeply ****************ed.

FFS you must have a big spade as you dont half dig a big hole for yourself ! whats cleaver about buying a house, nothing, tens of millions of people have done it, And it was not for pennies, it was a big step for all of us, and dont think it was a walk in the park, because it wasnt, interest rates where sky high in the teens of % compared to the pittence rate today of 1-1.5%, 

You say millions on minimum wage low paid jobs is there ? well if anyone had anything about them they would try and better there selfs in life like millions of other people have done, 

You say every one of your generation got the deposit given, Bollox, my kids have both got there own homes and niether of them got any help with deposits and them 2 are not 30 yet so miles of your generation, they worked when they was at school collage and have saved hard to get the deposit together, they didnt piss it up every wk end or do weed n coke as they wanted to achieve something and what is wrong with that nothing !

So let me ask you when was the last time you took your accounts and your partners wage slips and sat down with a mortgage/financial adviser ? from what you have posted on this site about what you do with in the 4 buisness,s you have and what you charge for milled timber, obtaining a mortgage for you would be a doddle ? so 4 sets of books and wage slips on the table in front of a mortgage adviser ? so whats the problem ? 

You could buy your own property where you live for very little compared to other areas of the country and lets face it we all have to live with in our means ! renting a house is just dead money and all you are doing is lining some one elses pocket, 

To borrow a 100k over 25yrs and pay it back on a mortgage would be not much different to what your rent payment is and guess what you would own the property at the end thus leaving something for your children, a mortgage payment on say 100k over 25yrs would equate to at current interest rates of 1.5% would be £400 a month and that would be you purchasing your own property, your rent at present is probably more than that payment, so given how much you have said you charge for milled timber you would only need to sell one plank a week to pay the mortgage and own your own property, ?,

You seem to have a big chip on you shoulder about this subject, BUT why, is there some under lying credit history that is stopping you from doing what millions of others have done, there is people i know in your generation that have worked hard and are now virtually mortgage free, so what went wrong with you ????, you make out on here you are earning tens of thousands but yet cant afford to but your own house but then again you can afford to pay some one rent,

• Like 4

FFS you must have a big spade as you dont half dig a big hole for yourself ! whats cleaver about buying a house, nothing, tens of millions of people have done it, And it was not for pennies, it was a big step for all of us, and dont think it was a walk in the park, because it wasnt, interest rates where sky high in the teens of % compared to the pittence rate today of 1-1.5%, 
You say millions on minimum wage low paid jobs is there ? well if anyone had anything about them they would try and better there selfs in life like millions of other people have done, 
You say every one of your generation got the deposit given, Bollox, my kids have both got there own homes and niether of them got any help with deposits and them 2 are not 30 yet so miles of your generation, they worked when they was at school collage and have saved hard to get the deposit together, they didnt piss it up every wk end or do weed n coke as they wanted to achieve something and what is wrong with that nothing !
So let me ask you when was the last time you took your accounts and your partners wage slips and sat down with a mortgage/financial adviser ? from what you have posted on this site about what you do with in the 4 buisness,s you have and what you charge for milled timber, obtaining a mortgage for you would be a doddle ? so 4 sets of books and wage slips on the table in front of a mortgage adviser ? so whats the problem ? 
You could buy your own property where you live for very little compared to other areas of the country and lets face it we all have to live with in our means ! renting a house is just dead money and all you are doing is lining some one elses pocket, 
To borrow a 100k over 25yrs and pay it back on a mortgage would be not much different to what your rent payment is and guess what you would own the property at the end thus leaving something for your children, a mortgage payment on say 100k over 25yrs would equate to at current interest rates of 1.5% would be £400 a month and that would be you purchasing your own property, your rent at present is probably more than that payment, so given how much you have said you charge for milled timber you would only need to sell one plank a week to pay the mortgage and own your own property, ?,
 You seem to have a big chip on you shoulder about this subject, BUT why, is there some under lying credit history that is stopping you from doing what millions of others have done, there is people i know in your generation that have worked hard and are now virtually mortgage free, so what went wrong with you ????, you make out on here you are earning tens of thousands but yet cant afford to but your own house but then again you can afford to pay some one rent,

You come across now as having a small chip.
Agree with some of what you said. Wouldn't get a single garage for 100k round here though.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One other thing is you have to set a good example for your kids too.... I'd rather be remembered as a hard worker that provided for his family than owt else.

For me If i dont try hard now I would feel I failed my family.

Edited by swinny
  • Like 4

One other thing is you have to set a good example for your kids too.... I'd rather be remembered as a hard worker that provided for his family than owt else.

For me If i dont try hard now I would feel I failed my family.

know too many fathers that barely see their kids cos they are trying hard. My dad was one of them.

Got to be a balance.

• Like 8

Just now, muttley9050 said:

No too many fathers that barely see their kids cos they are trying hard. My dad was one of them.
Got to be a balance.

Correct, I am guilty of this at times I must admit. I do try more now and have time off for school holidays which Im happy with myself for. 

Hard to get it right but your correct. Have to find the balance I agree

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

You come across now as having a small chip.
Agree with some of what you said. Wouldn't get a single garage for 100k round here though.

No small chip sorry, but Bucks is worlds apart from west Yorkshire, i am not in west yorks and  i thought there was nothing cheap around me that first time buyers could afford but i was wrong on that one, 2 bed flats on a estate just round corner from me over looking a field, river and a golf course for 120k,

• Like 2