£15/hour

eggsarascal

We need building and planning regulations to stop people living in substandard dwellings that might be dangerous to their and their childrens health.As well as people using the land in a responsible mannor.

How would you feel if once you had built your sustainable home from timber you had milled yourself,set up a composting toilet and planted a vege garden,Only to have five families living in busses shitting into long drops upstream from your water source? Then their perpetually sick kids giving your kids colds because the ferals live in un insulated routemasters with gas bottle heaters and you getting sick because they have corrupted the water in the name of "Freedom Man".

I lost pretty much everything in 2011.Four years later I bought my first house.You have to buy within your means and keep your eye on the market.Once the downturn hit in 2015 I actually bought the first House I ever went to a veiwing for.This was because I had rationalised what I wanted in a house and timed the market,I worked 7 days a week and set savings goals.If you wants something you have to hunt it down.

Opportunity only ceases to exist,when you cease to look for it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Sounds exhausting. I’d personally hate that lifestyle but then I know many would hate mine. Swings and roundabouts. 

It's not so bad! Not going into too much  specific detail on an open forum but essentially what I'm at here(Ireland) becomes a breach of regulation only after the authorities have been notified of an unplanned development and until that date (if it comes) you are not breaking any laws. There is also a time limit on the authorities to initiate proceedings. If they fail to do it within the time frame simple retention is the only means of "fine" they can apply. 

Basically what they don't know won't worry them. If it does go south I'm prepared to make a complete show of our planning and development processes in every court in the land and beyond for as long as it takes to prove that their methods, systems and processes are dated, unfit for purpose, practically unenforceable and contrary to numerous welfare, right to shelter and right of ownership laws.

If more people took this approach there would be no housing crisis. Its a crisis of beurocracy and regulation, the result of which manifests itself in a shortage of housing. The reason its become so prevalent is that too many people are basically lazy and will take the path of least resistance (mortgage). My perception of what constitutes resistance is just different to most I guess!

All that said, I have great respect for those that better themselves and make property investments.

It's not easy and as a renter in a previous life I've met some excellent landlords and one prick too. Probably the best thing that ever happened really, if it wasn't for him I could still be renting. Now I own my own (modest but comfortable) place and can hopefully look at investing in land and forestry in the future as many my age look towards 20 years of heavy repayments.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

It's not so bad! Not going into too much  specific detail on an open forum but essentially what I'm at here(Ireland) becomes a breach of regulation only after the authorities have been notified of an unplanned development and until that date (if it comes) you are not breaking any laws. There is also a time limit on the authorities to initiate proceedings. If they fail to do it within the time frame simple retention is the only means of "fine" they can apply. 

Basically what they don't know won't worry them. If it does go south I'm prepared to make a complete show of our planning and development processes in every court in the land and beyond for as long as it takes to prove that their methods, systems and processes are dated, unfit for purpose, practically unenforceable and contrary to numerous welfare, right to shelter and right of ownership laws.

If more people took this approach there would be no housing crisis. Its a crisis of beurocracy and regulation, the result of which manifests itself in a shortage of housing. The reason its become so prevalent is that too many people are basically lazy and will take the path of least resistance (mortgage). My perception of what constitutes resistance is just different to most I guess!

All that said, I have great respect for those that better themselves and make property investments.

It's not easy and as a renter in a previous life I've met some excellent landlords and one prick too. Probably the best thing that ever happened really, if it wasn't for him I could still be renting. Now I own my own (modest but comfortable) place and can hopefully look at investing in land and forestry in the future as many my age look towards 20 years of heavy repayments.

Some interesting points

there but I feel you’d not get away with what you suggested for long in the U.K.

I can’t say I agree with you comment that taking out a mortgage is the path of least resistance. As a home owner you’re fully responsible of everything that goes wrong with your property as really it’s still the banks til you pay off the mortgage. Need new windows? Kitchen? Leaks? All on you. Rent? You’ve got got your hand held for you your whole adult life and spoon fed. 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 09:49, eggsarascal said:

If £15/hour is out of the way for a lot of people why is it acceptable that a house share (around here) costs £450-£600/month.

Not that I'm saying either is right or wrong, just curious.

Would £15/hr push those that are currently below the personal allowance tax threshold above it?

Havent done the numbers - not that bobvererered really - wouldnt it be about right though?

Here - have a pay rise....

HMRC - joinck - we’ll av that 🤣

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Would £15/hr push those that are currently below the personal allowance tax threshold above it?

Havent done the numbers - not that bobvererered really - wouldnt it be about right though?

Here - have a pay rise....

HMRC - joinck - we’ll av that 🤣

I care not anymore.

32 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Good on you bud. I went the same route. Never have paid rent. Its all about getting along with the neighbors, location, location location. And that said, during the boom guys were whacking up spec houses willy nilly without planning and greasing palms for retention later.

Ok. [emoji4] 

Sounds like a very unusual lifestyle. No mortgage, not a home owner and no landlord. If it works for you it works for you and that’s great, it’s certainly not for everyone. 

So what is your living arrangements? I’m certainly curious now.
I live in a fully mutual housing co-op on
18 acres of land.
Pay £1 for a share. Live here fully mutually. Low expenses designed to cover bills m maintenance /land projects etc.

No planners to fight although I see that coming at some point in my life.[emoji6]
  • Like 1

We need building and planning regulations to stop people living in substandard dwellings that might be dangerous to their and their childrens health.As well as people using the land in a responsible mannor.

How would you feel if once you had built your sustainable home from timber you had milled yourself,set up a composting toilet and planted a vege garden,Only to have five families living in busses shitting into long drops upstream from your water source? Then their perpetually sick kids giving your kids colds because the ferals live in un insulated routemasters with gas bottle heaters and you getting sick because they have corrupted the water in the name of "Freedom Man".

I lost pretty much everything in 2011.Four years later I bought my first house.You have to buy within your means and keep your eye on the market.Once the downturn hit in 2015 I actually bought the first House I ever went to a veiwing for.This was because I had rationalised what I wanted in a house and timed the market,I worked 7 days a week and set savings goals.If you wants something you have to hunt it down.

I don't think anyone suggested we didn't need planning. Would be chaos without. Just that the planning laws are all wrong.

19 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
1 hour ago, Mike Hill said:

Read more  

I don't think anyone suggested we didn't need planning. Would be chaos without. Just that the planning laws are all wrong.

Sorry I must have missed that bit