Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

24 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I don’t see it as a political thing, but yes I know you get blasted if you ever say we need to fall back on our own resources before expecting handouts.

Also what is always overlooked is that we are almost entirely in control over how much gas and electricity we use, and cheap meals are always possible.  I am feeding my whole family tonight for about £8.  Not because I am skint but because we all love sausage casserole, and it is a great way of getting us all to eat loads of veg.

Some people will struggle for valid reasons I know, but 90% of people can manage ok if they really try.

I quite agree. This issue should not be seen as a political thing yet voicing such views always seems to be considered right-wing. How dare you expect people to be responsible for their own actions. :D 

• Like 2

On 30/07/2022 at 15:25, openspaceman said:

Round here they seem to inject human waste rather than spread, not seen any pig farms locally for a long time.

Are u still aloud to do that down south?

Pretty sure it was banned up in scotland around foot & mouth time, never seen it for years now.

Was nver that popular althou the same few farmers always took it.#It would probably be were a lot of the technology for umbilical systems came from which are now almost the norm up here and were very rare back then.

On 30/07/2022 at 16:05, difflock said:

I think I remember a Scottish Woodlands wheeze, where they got well paid to take tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of  sewage cake or sludge away, and "utilized" it by burying in BIG DEEP trenches to fertilize the conifers that they were for planting.

Or such was the story in the local community, who, again, from recall, put a stop to this scheme.

It sounded more like a "I have a cunning plan, let's dig a hole and bury it" to me, but hey!

What do I know.

P.S. 

I do not recall how far they were drawing it, or how,  away from the County road.

Was a wood just up above me they done it with, we called it porticullousing? sp? like the gate thingys on castles as they dug trenches to fill with sewerage.a bit like that.

Its just up the side of the M74 i felled a few blocks above it, they were only young then but that was a few years ago now ( infact could be close on 20) drive past it often enough but never thought much about it or looked to see if trees are any better.

Must admit the blocks above it were nothing special.

I think they are doing something right on the border on the english side but great big deep trenches, deep enough to drive a moxy in without seeing it, 

The local balif was playing up blaming them for a sever lack of fish in the river since it started, used to be a really good/famous seat trout river

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Are u still aloud to do that down south?

Now you ask that I must say that I haven't noticed it being done locally for a while but back a while it was done on fields I walked by that were contract growing maize for a digester so not for human consumption. Those fields are the ones I got my rye from.

I am also aware that over time the heavy metal build up from sewage got high enough that they had to stop on some fields.

A local bloke cornered the market for spreading this by purchasing some big tankers (Agilators??) with massive flotation tyres and they pulled subsoilers down which the slurry was injected. He got too cocksure that he would get the contract for another five years so increased his tender. Next I saw was a standard large tractor pulling the subsoiler and a large bore plastic pipe down which the slurry was pumped out of a large static tank with a stationary diesel pump.

43 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Now you ask that I must say that I haven't noticed it being done locally for a while but back a while it was done on fields I walked by that were contract growing maize for a digester so not for human consumption. Those fields are the ones I got my rye from.

I am also aware that over time the heavy metal build up from sewage got high enough that they had to stop on some fields.

A local bloke cornered the market for spreading this by purchasing some big tankers (Agilators??) with massive flotation tyres and they pulled subsoilers down which the slurry was injected. He got too cocksure that he would get the contract for another five years so increased his tender. Next I saw was a standard large tractor pulling the subsoiler and a large bore plastic pipe down which the slurry was pumped out of a large static tank with a stationary diesel pump.

Umbilical systems for dribbling slurry have now near taken over, over here in N Ireland. Much better for our generally wetter ground conditions.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

They weren't Terragators were they?

Big yellow things, i think some have either 3 or 5 wheels with a big central steering wheel, 1's i drove had 4 but u could steer both axles and lock it crab like for really soft ground so every tyre on different footprint.

Big 1m wide agri bibs, was fun drivin it on narrow country roads.

I'm sure i've seen some used as secondry extraction units for timber, from forest roadside to a proper hgv accessable roadside, ( low ground pressure doesnae screw up forest tracks as much)

I drove 1 after the fires finished on F&M, they used them to treat and spread 'contaminated' cow slurry after F&M.

They have a dispalcement pump same as umbilical systems so u could mix slurry with lime and they guaranteed it was mixed throughout, well that was the theory.

Ws the same up my area 1 bloke had it sewn up, to be fair i don't think much competiton for it, was a truelly stinking job.

He won the contract for a lot of F&M work, can't mind him going back to the human slurry after that.

Dunno if the rules changed about the same time or he made so much money on F&M.

No one else started spreading it either thou

• Like 1

Well sales are nuts but how much should we be putting up prices? 

We raised our prices by 10% in the April but with inflation expected to hit nearly 20% by January wondering about adding another 10%. And that's just to keep pace with inflation so basically standing still

WWW.FT.COM

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1